Monday 24 April 2017

Barbaresco Bersano 1986



            I’ve fully learned to recite by heart the piece that I plan to perform on June 3rd, which allows me to begin editing parts of it in my head. If nothing else, all memorizing that I do might help keep Alzheimer’s at bay.
            At around 10:00 on Sunday my phone rang and I knew that it was probably the guy calling about the camera. For some reason though my phone went black before I could answer it. By the time I got it back on it had stopped ringing. I tried to go to my calls to access Ed’s number so I cold call him back but then he called again and I didn’t know how to answer it from inside the list. When that ringing stopped I finally got to his number and was able to call him back. It turned out that he was already at my door, so I went down and let him in.
            I showed him the Pentax and he checked it out, realizing that it needed batteries. My ad on Kijiji had specified that batteries were not included and fortunately Ed had been smart enough to bring a couple. The camera had no lens but Ed found that everything was in working order and he paid me the $30.00 that I was asking. I showed Ed the way out and then since it was Sunday I figured David would be home so I could give him half the money according to the deal we’d made. The closest that I had was $16.00 so I took that upstairs and knocked on David’s door. He had either the radio or television playing extremely loud some sort of science show. I figured that he just couldn’t hear me so I kept on knocking several times before I heard him respond.
            He opened the door and it was the first time I’d seen David for months. He bumped fists with me as he does and I told him that I’d sold another camera and I held out the money but he told me to keep it. Then he handed me a bottle of Italian red wine. We chatted a bit and then he went back to finish his breakfast.
            The wine was Bersano Barbaresco 1986. I looked it up online and Vivino.com said the average for that wine is $138.51. I suspect that might be in US currency, which means that the average price in Canada might be $187.80. Knowing how expensive the wine is, now I feel uncomfortable just cracking it open and drinking it by myself. That means I’ll have to have someone over for dinner sometime and I’ll have to cook. The more I think about it the worse it gets. What an asshole David was to give me that quality bottle of wine.
            I went on Kijiji and deleted the ad, then I placed another for an early 70s Minolta automatic camera. I started the price at $50.00 but I’ll drop it by $10.00 every two months until someone bites like Ed did. A couple of hours later someone texted me about it, but I hate texting, so when he asked if it was in working order I said, “I don’t know”. The person texted “Hmmm” and didn’t say anything more. If he’d emailed the question I might have said, “As far as I can tell, everything is working fine”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment