Monday 3 April 2017

Childhood Snapshots



            I spent a lot of time on Sunday working on bumping up some of the poems for my final project. Most of the time I tried to improve the rhymes and the images in my autobiographical poem, “Out on the Fields of Youth”. I also worked on memorizing the chords and words to “Un Canadien Errant” and to my translation, “The Lost Canadian”.

Out on the Fields of Youth

On the fields of youth the bravest hero
challenged Satan to a fight to the death.
As he stood with legs apart, clenching fists
the Devil rose from the frozen furrows.
The boy’s battle cry rode out on steamy breath,
then he let Lucy have it with a flying kick.
He spun, he rolled, he dodged the sharpened tail,
and gave Old Nick his Sunday punch.
They battled furiously, tooth and nail
and never gave up
until it was time to go in for lunch.

A setting of jewels in the woods by the field
was the rock pile that grew more every spring,
harvested by dad off the fertile land
from stones that each winter the earth would yield,
then picked and hauled to make way for the seed.
While my father sowed I’d sit on that island
on a chair shaped rock that was quartz encrusted
and sparkled in the sun.
That stone mound was crowned with parts, old and rusted
of harrow and combine,
but for me they were spaceships, war tanks and ray guns.

At the sunset end of our property
was the lazy zipper between two frontiers,
the other flank of which was the U.S.
and across a cleared strip that stretched endlessly
was the farm of our American neighbour,
Dickie White, whose spuds did better business.
They’d park their tractors on the edge of each land
and chat over the boundary
where between them a stone would stand
with carving on opposite halves
showing the handle of either patrie.

I was dragged to church by a clip-on lead
for my constricting date with the godhead,
but after that we’d resurrect at Grammy’s
who smelled of mothballs and the elderly,
but her home of her heavenly brown bread
and of her orange wheel of cheddar cheese.
Dad and she would sometimes gab in Danish
to keep us from being smart
to the worldly things that they were saying
though neither one of them
had ever set foot in old Denmark.

Saving pop empties to buy fresh comic books
that drew me beyond to exotic worlds
where the rulings of grownups need not apply
for those who could shatter walls with a red-beamed look;
where the super power to vex, wielded by girls
was melted away by the flair to fly,
swing, jump, swim or climb fast, high, wide and deep,
or to shift dimensions
where mind could unravel reality
and tame its chaos
so as to break free from pubescent tensions.

On weekends with my sister and mother
playing games like 45s, Charlemagne,
rummy, go fish, cribbage, hearts or war
while gobbling popcorn with salt and butter,
fudge or some other homemade confection.
While Dad was out doing some extra chore,
never having fun with my sister or me.
Mom might share an adventure
such as almost drowning at Old Orchard Beach
or maybe give us a shock
with the newsflash that Dad was a dancer.

On Christmas mornings I descended early
but most gifts couldn’t be opened because
our parents wanted to be there to see it,
but under our always magnificent tree
were unwrapped presents from Santa Clause,
though I’d ceased to think him real in secret
but wanted my parents to still believe
so they’d stay generous.
On the one day that I felt somewhat loved
by my father,
the razor strap was not swung on Christmas.

Almost every summer those New England trips
to Mom’s siblings in Maine, Mass. and New Hampshire
and the uncles’ cabins where I learned to swim.
But my mother’s clan had only grown-up kids
since she was the second youngest sister
so I never felt close to her close kin
and had the feeling they found me boring.
But I savoured the drive,
the journey pastime of forging stories
of how the burgs got named
and the Howard Johnson’s on route 95.

Pleasant recollections of make-believe wars
when no one said that we could not pretend
to kill each other with guns and grenades.
Potato battles from the barn’s hay forts,
snowball frays from winter’s start to its end,
or summer leas where we’d go, then break
off chunks of blue cow salt to suck upon,
between sour apple bites.
The older boys teaching me dirty songs
I didn’t understand
when I sang them and made my mother cry.
.
Rescuing pleasures of masturbation
with Annette Funicello on my mind
and to see her visage was all I needed
for sexual flight simulation
that hasn’t stopped informing me how to fly,
though the itch now needs more than a face to feed it.
I copied down verses of every song.
Melodic poetry
with words of tuning in and turning on
that said, “There’s more to me!”
and blew the breeze that helped me sail away.

I don’t miss the past when I reminisce.
Every experience is part of me,
creating and forging who I’ve become.
Regret is a poorly bred homesickness
and clinging to “then” would be gluttony.
Besides, time might well be an illusion
and there may be little to space withal.
All of us are lessons learned.
Thankfully there’s sure as hell no devil
nor a magic Santa Clause
but there’s still opulence of romance to be earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment