Tuesday 4 April 2017

Here Come the Gentry



            In the middle of Monday I looked in my drawer for a manila envelope and discovered that I still had a couple from the turn of the century when I tried sending poetry to magazines. I counted out twenty-five pages of blank, letter-sized paper and slid them into the envelope with two staples, and then I rode up the street to the post office to get the postage. I told the clerk that it was going to be self-addressed and local but he still asked me for a postal code. While I was asking him why a different postal code would make a difference in the price within Toronto, his more experienced colleague quickly weighed my envelope and told me it would be $2.95. So I bought the stamps and then went to the supermarket.
            I won’t be eating vegetable protein until Wednesday, so I bought more fruit and salad fixings. I stood in a checkout line behind an old man who smelled like he’d been smoking in the same clothes for years. He didn’t have many more items than me but he turned to me anyway and said that I could go ahead of him. Then he moved to another line-up.
            As I was riding home along Queen under the railroad bridge I noticed on the building there that’s been vacant for years a sign saying that a Metro supermarket will be opening in that location soon. I find Metro rarely has prices low enough that I’d want to shop there, but I guess they’ll get business from the Parkdale colonizing gentry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment