Thursday 13 April 2017

The Portrayal of Girls by the Media as Mean in the 50s



            On Wednesday I had to ride back to Bike Chain because I’d forgotten my hoody there the previous day. I found it exactly where I’d left it, which was in one of the square shelves where people put their backpacks and such. I had put my pack and my jacket in one space but there hadn’t been room when I’d gotten too hot to wear my hoody, but of course putting an extra item of clothing separate from my other stuff on a warm day made it more likely that I would forget it.
            Since I was already downtown I thought I’d roll up to Bloor and St George to inquire as to whether the Creative Writing course was happening in the fall. The office of the assistant chair was closed though until the afternoon, so I didn’t bother waiting around.
            I stopped at the bank to take out my last $14.00, so I’d have something to pay for parts at Bike Pirates on Thursday, but I spent some of it on my first can of beer in a month.
            I made chilli with an onion, garlic, carrots, a yellow pepper, dried chilli peppers and a can each of fava beans, chickpeas and spaghetti sauce. It turned out pretty good except that the carrots didn’t get fully cooked.
I had a bowlful of the chilli with two slices of bread and a beer while watching two episodes of Leave It To Beaver. I’ve noticed that they don’t generally portray girls in a very honourable light in that show. They tend to present females as being relatively petty and self-centred by nature. In one episode, Beaver has been reading Ivanhoe and so he goes on a kick of trying o be chivalrous. While waiting for the bus he sees another boy knocking down his sister and so he picks a fight with him to defend her. But when the bus driver breaks up the scuffle the boy’s sister says that Beaver started the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment