Sunday 23 April 2017

Waiting on the Dark Side



            Just after midnight on Saturday I accessed my bank account online and discovered that my income tax return had been deposited. That meant that I would be able to continue building my bicycle starting at noon.
            I was excited when I got up that morning about soon having money to work on the bike. But I don’t like being excited while I’m doing my yoga. Anticipation does make for a very good song practice afterward though.
            I finished memorizing another French song and I’ve also almost fully learned by heart the ten-minute piece that I plan on doing at the Smiling Buddha on June 3rd.
            At about 9:45 I headed over to the food bank. The sun was shining on me as I drove west on Queen and there didn’t seem to be as big a line-up as usual. I was behind an Eastern European gentleman with whom I’d had a philosophical conversation at the old food bank location back in the winter. We shook hands and discussed the new place. He thinks it’s much nicer than the previous layout. I commented that the space that food bank clients access now is actually smaller than before. Because they are already in the basement now they no longer have a basement for storage and so they are spread out over a larger area on the same level, which I guess makes for less work since there are no stairs to climb in order to stock the shelves.
            It was a windy day, which caused some of the shopping carts that were marking people’s places in line to tumble onto each other like dominoes. While it hadn’t been cold while riding there on the sunny side, we were on the south side and it was quite chilly in the shade. Several of those that had marked their places in line were standing in the sunshine on the north side of Queen while others were defying the rules and warming up inside. It seemed that the only people in line were the smokers, including the guy with the electronic cigarette, who was close enough for me to breathe his second hand fumes as well. The research on second hand e-cigarette vapour is far from complete and though the studies that have been done so far show that inhaling it is considerably less harmful than taking in second hand tobacco smoke, it can’t possibly be equal to fresh air. The comparison might be more similar to concluding that a fifth of a teaspoon of rat poison in your soup is less harmful than a full tablespoon.
            My Eastern European line-mate went inside to warm up, but his friend, who seems to be from the same place and similarly septuagenarian, held their spot in line. Though not as proficient in English as his compadre he expressed curiosity to me about the e-cigarette and was wondering if it was full of herbs. He told me that he was very glad to not have smoked for the last twenty years but confessed that he was still burdened with the vice of drinking.
            One consolation of it being a breezy day was that I could just move upgust of the most windward smoker and then I wouldn’t’ have to breathe what they were blowing.
            I was reading the first tale in a dual-language book of French stories for which each page has the translated version on the opposite page. I find it to be a valuable learning tool. The first story is “Micromégas” by Voltaire and it’s an 18th century work of science fiction about a godlike being that visits earth from the Sirius star system. I was just two pages into the fantasy though before the cold made it too uncomfortable to read.
            Some people just behind me were complaining about having to line up outdoors on the main street. I repeated what I had been told by food bank volunteers before they moved of how there were not going to be any more outdoor line-ups at PARC. I suggested that they did not anticipate how difficult the PARC staff is to get along with. One guy who said that he used to volunteer at PARC offered the view that PARC people don’t get along with anybody.
The same guy, who was missing several teeth, though probably only in his fifties, mentioned that they have a dentist once a week at PARC and he had to take advantage of that. I can’t find any reference to a visiting dentist at PARC on their calendar, but if it’s true I wonder what facilities they would have there on a once a week basis and what exactly a visiting dentist would be able to accomplish within those limitations. I assume they’d just be able to do an exam and then a referral to an actual dentist’s office.
            When the line started to move I did so more slowly than at the previous location, simply because there was a much shorter distance at the other place between the door and the food, whereas now it’s about ten times further, with lots of twists and turns to slow people down. I was the last in a group of five to be admitted but as soon as I entered the building I saw that my Eastern European friend had been waiting in the entryway and since he was ahead of me in line I sopped and let him go ahead. Meanwhile though, the line behind me had advanced into the building as well and so I had to back them up in order to back up myself. I was only moderately successful, resulting in the first five people in the line bunching up in front of the entrance.
            While standing there I noticed a message that the Tuesday food bank would be cancelled after April 25th, leaving only the four days from Wednesday to Saturday.
            I was at the head of the next wave of five and since the door guy recognized me as knowing the way down, he had me lead the way so he could go back to watch the door.
            Once I’d wound my way to the food room, things ran fairly smoothly. I went up to the desk and after they checked me off on the computer, I got number 19, which proved my perception was off when I’d assessed that the line had been much shorter than last time. The previous week I’d gotten number twenty.
            From Angie’s cold section I received a litre of milk. She offered me four fruit flavoured, kid’s yogourt cups, but I saw to their left some Astro fruit bottom yogourt cups and asked if I could have those instead. She let me have them but confessed that she shouldn’t have brought them out until the other ones were gone. She gave me a small bag of McCain’s frozen Masala fries. Those McCains sure have come a long way since I swam in their pool in Boy Scouts and my best friend played hockey with their kids back in New Brunswick. She passed me an unbranded bag of small, frozen samosas and assured me they were delicious. Then she offered me a choice of meat or pizza. I asked what the meat was and since she showed me it was that generic ultra-ground mystery meat they often hand out, I decided this time on the pizza, which was a boxed frozen Dr Oetker Ristorante “ultra thin” goat cheese and vegetable pizza. Pizza makers must have made a killing on the thin crust craze, since they don’t have to spend as much on dough and they can charge more for it. It’s basically pizza toppings on a big cracker. Angie’s offering were rounded out with a plastic bag containing six eggs, which I held onto while the vegetable lady filled up the rest of my backpack with potatoes, carrots, a big onion, a yam, a nearly perfect pear and the rare treat at the food bank of two vine ripened tomatoes that had not gotten soft at all.
            From the shelves I took a crumpled bag of President’s Choice All-dressed potato chips, a box of non-flavoured gelatine and a handful of lemon flavoured, fruit and nut Larabars. There was no spaghetti sauce but there were a few cans of crushed tomatoes, which I guess is close enough if one has tomato paste and a good spice rack. There was a good selection of canned beans and as usual I grabbed some garbanzos. There was also lots of tuna and so I got a can of that. From the soup section I picked another carton of chicken broth. The cereal offerings were of chocolate, peanut butter or honey nut Cheerios so I determined the Honey Nut to be the least disgusting. My helper said that I could take two boxes this time. In the baked section I asked the bread lady for raisin bread and she located some raisin buns for me. They were beside a big bag of pretzels, which she offered and I accepted. That was already enough bread for me, since I don’t eat very much flour made stuff anymore, but I guess we were on a roll and so when she handed me a multi-grain loaf I didn’t reject it. She said, “I know you like the healthy stuff, right?” I nodded and thanked her.
            On my way out of the food room, the door person was standing there, and so I asked him if they were ever going to have indoor line-ups. He told me that it wasn’t possible because of all the fire codes at PARC. Even though there was probably enough room in these long twisting halls to contain the usual food bank line-ups, it was considered a breach of fire regulations. That means that whereas before at the old place we were able to at least stand in the sun on sunny days while we were waiting, now we would always be on the dark side of Queen on cold days. Maybe by the time of the summer solstice we would almost have some sunshine touching the south sidewalk on Queen at the time of the late morning when we line up. But in the summer we would probably want to be in the shade anyway. Next winter though was going to be another very cold and shadowy story.

No comments:

Post a Comment