Monday 15 May 2017

A Little Too Nice



            Although my knee was still bothering me, on Sunday I thought it best to give it some pedalling exercise anyway. Since I planned to ride out to Mississauga on the upcoming Saturday I decided to take a short bike ride in the evening in order to prepare my knee for the more challenging trip. It was a bright and breezy day with lots of nice clouds, so it would have been excellent for a longer venture out to Donlands and the Danforth, but I just set out with the aim of going along Bloor to Sherbourne and back.
            Pedestrians continue to ignore the fact that the bike lane on Bloor is not an extension of the sidewalk. A couple with a little girl almost stepped in front of me as I was speeding by.
            My derailleur is a little slow shifting into the highest gear. I don’t know if it needs lubrication or adjustment so I guess I’ll spray it with some WD-40 to see if that makes it move better. Only one cyclist passed me though and I passed a few.
            At Sherbourne I turned around and went back to Yonge, headed south to Queen and then home.
            On Yonge Street south of College there’s a tall and narrow mural depicting all the famous Toronto music related businesses that have gone out of business, like Sam the Record Man, The Colonial and the Coq D’or.
            For dinner I had a small sirloin steak, two eggs, a couple of pretzels and a beer for dinner while watching two episodes of Leave It To Beaver.
            I’ve noticed that most of the kids, besides Beaver and Wally, who appear on that show are assholes. When Beaver or Wally do something wrong it’s almost always under the influence of their friends. All of the males are portrayed as having flawed parents while some of the behaviour of the girls is depicted as just resulting from female nature.
            In the first episode Beaver is finally allowed to stay home for a night without a baby sitter. Wally has a basketball game, after which he will come home to get ready for a masquerade party. His friend Lumpy is scheduled to pick Wally up but he arrives before Wally gets home and decides to sit in his car while wearing his gangster mask and hat to try and scare Wally. Beaver has just watched a scary gangster movie about crooks coming to somebody’s house to rub them out. He looks out the window and doesn’t recognize Lumpy so he calls the police, who arrive and arrest Lumpy because he hadn’t brought his license with him.
            In the second show, Beaver’s friend Richard gets a new leather jacket and so Beaver wants one just like it. Ward gives in and lets Beaver have the jacket but then Richard loses his. Since Richard doesn’t want to get in trouble with his parents for losing his jacket he convinces Beaver to lend him his jacket at night and he’ll bring it back in the morning. The jacket keeps getting lowered down from and up to Beaver’s window until he’s caught. 

No comments:

Post a Comment