Wednesday 3 May 2017

Antique Derailleur



            On Saturday I had waited at least half an hour longer at the food bank than usual, so when I got home I was in a rush to put everything away and then to get my cycle building project out in front of Bike Pirates early enough that I wouldn’t have to wait for a stand. There were only three people ahead of me, and two of them were a father and son with a kid’s bike. The father so my bike with no pedals and commented, I guess you didn’t right that here!” I told him that I live nearby so I wouldn’t have ridden it here anyway. He also wondered if my velo was too tall for me. I assured him that it wasn’t, though I hadn’t actually established the seat height yet.
            Bike Pirates opened on time and I got a stand right away. The first thing that I needed to do was to mound a freewheel on my back rim. I had one in my bag that I’d been told early on that might be good for my bicycle, but I think it was Dennis who strongly suggested that I look for something else. Soon, Dan, the short, older guy who looks like the shop steward in Santa’s workshop, came along to help me. We found that my bike required a very thin freewheel and that even though it was a ten-speed, even the freewheels with only five sets of teeth were too thick to fit between the rim and the frame. The narrowest seemed to be the one that I’d been already carrying around with me, so that’s what we went with. Dan discovered though that even that wouldn’t fit between the rim and the right chainstay.
            I asked, “Well then what did this bicycle use for a freewheel?” Dan shrugged and suggested that it might have been something that no longer exists. I inquired if he was saying that the machine that I was putting together maybe wouldn’t be able to have gears. He answered, “Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.” But almost immediately he thought that we could try spreading the rear triangle. So I removed the rim and we took the frame over to the vice. We locked in left chainstay and then pulled out the other one, then put the right in and pushed the left. But while Dan was pushing we heard a snap and Dan commented that we might have damaged the frame until he observed that what had cracked was the chainstay bridge. Dan assured me though that the bridge is only there for mounting a fender and that it’s not structurally crucial to the frame. After that the rear triangle was spread enough to fit the freewheel between it and the rim.
            The next thing to do was to mount the rear derailleur, and in my bag I had the Simplex derailing mechanism that came with my frame. This system used a jockey pulley that was much smaller than the lower idle pulley, but Dan told me the jockey pulley’s teeth were too dull. I asked if he thought they had a replacement the same size but he didn’t think so. I inquired as to whether a larger jockey pulley would fit in that derailleur. He looked at it and thought that it might. He showed me the pulley tray and told me to have a look. Really they all looked the same to me, so I picked up the first one and showed it to him. I was relieved to be told that it might work. The next thing that I had to do was to search for washers that would fit into the hub of the larger pulley. That was a long process, because most of the washers in the washer tray did not fit.
Meanwhile, Dan went to help other people and during the next half an hour or so, both Dennis and another volunteer, whose name I didn’t know, came at different times to see if they could be of assistance. They both advised me to ditch the idea of finding a pulley for my old derailleur and to just find a completed working, newer system.
After going through almost all the washers, I finally found two that fit the jockey pulley I was trying to install in the Simplex derailleur. I showed it to Dan and we started putting it together. I told him what the other volunteers had urged me to do and he explained that they are young and so they like new things but that we are old and so we like old things, like Simplex derailleurs. There was certainly logic there but I didn’t really appreciate being lumped as “old” in a grouping with a guy that looks about ten years older than me.
Dan was very helpful, but he always seems frustrated and cranky while he’s working. I had dumped a bunch of derailleurs on my worktable earlier and the pile was still there, since my mode of working tends to be to clean everything up in the end. Dan came and told me sternly that it was chaos and that we couldn’t mount the derailleur on the frame until all of that was put away.
At one point, Sebastian, the volunteer trainee, put the radio on to some rap music, but Dan, who seems to prefer classical music shouted for him to “turn off that shit”, complaining that he could think straight with it on. I cleaned off my table and then Dan came back to help me. I had to line up the derailleur with a certain part of the right chainstay and that took quite a while, but finally I had my frame’s original derailleur installed.
Dan apologized for being testy with me but he justified that this place made him very tense because he’s old and the added, “You know how it is”. I told him that I was fine because I do yoga. He declared, “I do Bike Pirates!”
By this time it was 15:30 though as usual I had only planned on staying there until 14:00, but it’s hard to leave when one is in the middle of the installation of a major part. Also as usual, there were volunteers that urged me to stay because, “You can finish your bike today. I’ll help you! You’ll see it’ll take just a few minutes!” I knew from past experience that one thing always leads to another at Bike Pirates and that I would not be able finish my bicycle in the last hour and a half. The next thing I had to do was to install a front derailleur and I was pretty sure that was going to take another full session, so I packed up. Since I’d only installed small used parts this time I only donated $10.00.
I went home and had some lunch, and then I walked over to the liquor store to buy a couple of cans of Creemore. After that I rode to Freshco to pick up some groceries. I picked some black seedless grapes, vine ripened tomatoes and a mango. I wanted some oranges but the navels were too soft. I looked at some clementines but noticed they were from Israel and decided not to get them. I chose instead a few tangerines from Cyprus.
In the meat section they had packages of ground beef on sale for $3.00, but there were three different colours of the hamburger meat. One was kind of a rotten looking brown, another was reddish brown and the other much smaller pile was meat of the more attractive bright red hue. It seemed odd that they would be charging the same price for all three and I asked one of the shelf stockers but he said he’d find me someone to answer my question. No one came, so I moved on. I got milk, old cheddar, yogourt and a big pack of sponge towels. When I was standing in the checkout line I noticed in the bottom of my basket a dispenser of Degree active deodorant that another customer must have selected and forgotten. I’d been meaning to buy deodorant and had forgotten, so I just shrugged and bought the one that I’d found.
That night I watched an episode of Leave it to Beaver that featured the house that later on in TV Land would become the home of the Munsters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment