Tuesday 23 May 2017

I Wonder Why Birds Attack Squirrels



            My knee didn’t bother me much on Monday morning but there was a little twinge so I decided to rest it from riding for another day.
            For two mornings in a row while doing song practice and looking out the window I have seen a squirrel on the opposite side of the street scurry along the power line from the east and try to cross Dunn Avenue. Both times though it has been turned back and attacked on the line near the traffic light by an angry little sparrow about half its size but with the advantage of height being much less of a danger for it so far from a tree. If the bushy tailed rodent were to be knocked off the wire, grabbing the side of the wooden pole wouldn’t have been as sure a thing as being knocked from an upper tree limb and catching onto a lower one, so the squirrel retreated both times. The sparrow must have been defending a nearby nest and it’s interesting that pigeons roost in the same area but I’ve never seen sparrows attack them. I guess it’s because they know they aren’t a threat, whereas, though I’d always thought that squirrels were vegetarians, upon looking it up I discovered that they eat eggs and even nestlings. That may very well have been its reason for crossing on the wire in the first place.
            I didn’t realize that sparrows were that aggressive at defending their nests. The red winged blackbirds are the ones in Toronto with the reputation for dive-bombing people if they get too close to their nests. I got attacked myself once down by Sunnyside Beach. I’ve notice that lately the blackbirds are more frequently landing on the wire in front of my window and doing their complex mating calls.
            That evening I didn’t go for a bike ride but exercised while listening to another episode of Amos and Andy. Andy and Kingfish were in the elevator of a department store and the operator called out “Home furnishings!” but then added that there weren’t any home furnishings. I guess this was a reference to shortages due to the war, although the war had ended the year before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment