Sunday 28 July 2024

Janine Gray


            On Saturday morning I started translating “D’où reviens-tu Billy Boy?” (a translation by Vian of “Where Have You Been Billy Boy?). 
            I finished memorizing “Un amour peut en cacher un autre” (One Love Can Serve to Cover Another) by Serge Gainsbourg. Tomorrow I’ll look for the chords but I doubt that anyone has posted them, so I’ll start working them out. 
            I put the new guitar strap on the Gibson and started playing it during song practice. Now each electric has its own strap and I don’t have to switch back and forth. But during the first song I broke my B string and had to switch to playing the Kramer. Since I bought the Gibson I’ve broken the high E, the A and now the B. Gian from L’il Demon guitars says the strings were wound wrong causing tension. So far none of the new ones have broken and so he may be right.
            Around midday I hitched my bike trailer and headed out to the supermarket. On the way I stopped at Vina Pharmacy to order a renewal of my Betaderm prescription. At No Frills the cherries were only slightly more expensive than at Freshco and so I didn’t bother going through the hassle of looking for a Freshco flyer on my phone to do a price match. I got five bags of cherries, a watermelon, bananas, Bavarian sandwich bread, mouthwash, Basilica sauce, a jug of low sugar iced tea, skyr, and a bag of Miss Vickie’s chips. 
            I had pita crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of low sugar iced tea for lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 88.15 kilos at 17:30, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the evening since July 14. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:10. 
            I took my camera and tripod out to look for people to put on video for my project. I walked to Sorauren and then east to Elm Grove. I bought two packs of raspberries at the Queen Fresh Market and took them home. Then I went back out again and took another trip to Sorauren and back. A short and very hairy man who I see hanging around and ranting in front of Tim Hortons stopped to tell me about Superman losing his powers and that’s why he hangs around with bike couriers. 
            I reviewed the videos of my song practice performances of “Dance and Sing to Baby Pop” and “Baby Pop” from August 26 to September 1 of 2023. On August 26, August 28, and September 1 I played “Dance and Sing to Baby Pop” on my Martin acoustic guitar. On August 26 the take at 3:30 in part B looked and sounded good. On August 28 the take at 9:15 in part B was pretty good. On September 1 the take at 17:45 in part B was okay and looked good. On August 27 I played “Baby Pop” on the Martin and the take at 7:45 in part B was not bad, there was low traffic noise and it looked good.
            I made pizza on a roti with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 5, episodes 27 and 28 of Bewitched
            In the first story Samantha and Darrin are celebrating his birthday. She has just given him his present and is about to reveal a special surprise when her father Maurice makes a grand entrance in his magic, chauffeur driven car. He surprises Darrin by wishing him a happy birthday. Maurice presents him with a magical cigarette lighter that can give him the ability to conjure things. Darrin says he can’t accept it and so Maurice is insulted and turns him into a jackass before leaving. Samantha summons her mother to help locate Maurice. Endora says this time of year he would be in the south of France. She says that they can leave Tabitha’s jackass father to take care of her since they will only be gone a few minutes. They find Maurice on a restaurant patio with his beautiful karate teacher Yvette. Then Yvette’s associate in the karate business the equally lovely Angelique arrives. Samantha persuades Maurice to return with her to help Darrin but when they get back Tabitha is alone and tells them that the animal control people came to take daddy away because it’s illegal to keep a jackass in the house. Samantha finds Darrin in the animal shelter and takes him back. Maurice has trouble reversing his own spell until he plays a magical recording of it backwards. Later when Darrin is sleeping upstairs Abner Kravitz comes because his wife Gladys told him Samantha has a jackass that can play chess. Maurice turns himself into a jackass to challenge him to a game. 
            In the second story Maurice comes to visit again because there is currently an aura so special about Samantha that its vibrations zonked across the atmospheric continuum and led him to her. He announces that he’s engaged a private secretary. He summons the beautiful Abigail Beachum to introduce her. He asks how Endora is since he hasn’t seen her for about 18 months. He tells Abigail that his wife and he have an informal relationship. Abigail says she’d like to meet her and so Samantha summons her. Endora appears and is greeted by Maurice, Then Samantha says, “It’s Noel Coward time!” and Endora turns to see Abigail. I guess it’s Noel Coward time when one introduces ones wife to one’s latest lover. I can’t find the reference anywhere else. Maurice has Abigail demonstrate her efficiency by taking dictation on an invisible typewriter. Endora and Samantha can read the invisible page she’s typed. Endora is jealous even though it’s been obvious over the last five years of this show that she and Maurice don’t live together and have no intimate relationship. She accuses Maurice of hiring Abigail for her attractiveness. Maurice insists he judges witches by their character. So Endora turns Abigail into an old lady. Maurice changes her back. Maurice reminds Endora of the time a young witch flirted with him and she had her drafted into the army. Her name was Attila the Hun. Abigail is about to threaten Endora against any more tricks when Samantha pulls her away and warns her that her mother has the most powerful one two punch in the cosmos. Abigail tells Samantha that she likes to go from one romance to another. She leaves a trail of broken hearts but it takes them a couple of weeks to wipe the smiles off their faces. Endora tells Abigail to leave her husband alone or she’ll disintegrate her. Maurice insists that his relationship with Abigail is purely professional and then Abigail gives him a kiss on the lips. Endora says she’s going to the Witches Counsel to file for an Ectoplasmic Interlocutory, which seems to be a witch’s divorce. Abigail is not satisfied with the lunch of sandwiches Samantha prepares and conjures herself an enormous meal. Endora returns and appears just to Samantha. They decide that Endora should make Maurice jealous. Endora suggests she bring Dr. Bombay’s nephew, who looks like Steve McQueen. Samantha says he is Steve McQueen but he’s too young. Samantha suggests John Van Millwood who is Maurice’s old rival from the theatre. She appears before Maurice with John, who is Australian. Maurice refers to his accent as a speech impediment. Abigail and John appear to be smitten with each other from the start. John says Shakespeare always preferred his interpretation of Romeo. Maurice calls him an untalented colonial. Abigail says she’s tired of all the arguing and she’s going to find herself another job. John offers her one and she agrees and they disappear together. Then Endora notices the same thing about Samantha that Maurice did. They ask if she is going to have another baby and she admits it. 
            Abigail was played by Janine Gray, who started doing TV commercials in England as a teenager. At 16 she appeared in three films: It’s Great to Be Young, My Teenage Daughter, and The Extra Day. She then trained in repertory theatre. Her first acting job on a TV series was Dial 999 in 1958. She then made guest appearances on Danger Man, The Saint and The Avengers. She starred in the British B movie Panic. From 1964 to 1969 she was based in Hollywood and made appearances on several US TV series. In The Americanization of Emily she appeared nude.





No comments:

Post a Comment