Friday 12 July 2024

July 12, 1994: We celebrated the first anniversary of the Gumby Bible group poem


Thirty years ago today 

            On Tuesday I made phone contact with a dominatrix named Mistress Anna and arranged to meet her on the following Tuesday. 
            That night we celebrated the first anniversary of the Gumby Bible group poem at my Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy writers open stage in the Art Bar of the Gladstone Hotel. Mary Milne brought watermelon for everybody. We had eighteen people, including Brian, Tanya, Yehudah, Diana Skala, Diana Dufretes, Tom Smarda, Paul Sims, Steve Lowe, Paul, and Angeline, and I think this was Victoria’s first night. Sections of the poem were read by Mary, Brian, Angeline, Tom, Steve, Paul, and Yehudah. Then I had Diana read the first part again. There was a lot of laughter because each section sounded like it had been written by the person who was reading it. People also read their own poetry. When I passed around the page for people to add to this week’s Gumby Bible it ended up with a watermelon theme: 

The fish danced delicious in my hand
scaling the heights of Death
circadian synchromass
differential mechanics
& 18 basic equilibriating developments
If a little bit of compassion grows
behind the eyes be grateful
I put down my piece of watermelon 
with the toothpick stuck in it 
& it drips pink & playful 
We are thankful for our feeding 
It feeds our Egos
& we grow outward from inward sustenance 
Watermelon is our Truth 
Some of our nonsense like life itself 
is the wisest we can attain 
Down on the dock I saw a spider
feeding on watermelons 
His head was a seed filled with all possibilites:
a flower a tree a man 
Man!!!Weak & pitiful thing 
Skin a translucent pink 
like the carcass of the watermelon 
& filled with seed 
Bigger than the breadbox of Heaven 
& rounder than the red neck of ribald Roger 
No-Teeth Letitia is on tap for two tap for two 
From outside a woman yells responses 
There is poetry on heads
fishing the air like casting in rivers 
& fishing for rivers of head yet uncast 
Should've gone & should've found out 
while I still had a little time time
to go fishing for the Nazis
& the watermelon design on a tablecloth 
Unfocussed yet an omen of memory 
But I remember the glorious watermelon 
That wonderful food of my fantasy 
Pink so pink like the flesh I desire 
The spider pulled his head from watermelon red meat 
& said plainly to me "At Life's banquet don't eat spam" 
Spam coloured flecks on the carpet 
worn thin by our tapping feet 
tapping out of time out of time out of time

No comments:

Post a Comment