Friday 16 August 2024

Bert Convy


            On Thursday morning I ran through singing and playing “Sweet Sixteen”, my translation of “Love Fifteen” by Serge Gainsbourg. I uploaded it to my Christian’s Translations blog and began to prepare it for publication. I’ll have it posted tomorrow. 
            I weighed 87.05 kilos before breakfast. 
            I called up the Faculty of Dentistry to book an appointment for my surgery but they haven’t set the schedule yet and said they’ll call me.
            Around midday I sanded the rest of the underside of the bathroom upper shelf that I started yesterday and part of the underside of the other upper shelf that meets it to make an “L” shape. 
            I weighed 86.95 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I’ve been at midday since last Thursday. In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought four bags of green grapes, one bag of red grapes, a pack of raspberries, bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, a pack of Full City Dark coffee, a jar of salsa, and a pack of Sponge Towels. 
            I weighed 86.15 kilos at 18:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:50. 
            I took my camera and tripod out to look for Whispering Ghost with Wings of Silver. I walked to Sorauren, then to Brock and home. If I don’t run into him in the next three days I’ll return to my Next State of Grace project without any extra video of him.
            I reviewed the song practice videos of my performances of “Leave the Naïve Alone” and “Laisse tomber les filles” from last year’s recording project. Because these songs came late in the sessions there were only four complete takes within the battery charge. On August 10 and 26 I played “Leave the Naïve Alone” on my Martin acoustic guitar. On August 10 the take at 12:30 in part B is not bad. On August 26 the take at 12:00 in part B looked good and sounded okay. On August 21 and September 12 I played “Laisse tomber les filles” on the Martin. On August 21 the take at 15:30 in part B was okay. On September 12 the take at 15:30 in part B was not great and the light was bad. Since there are no electric takes of this song I’ll play it for the next ninety day recording session to hear how it sounds after more practice and in a greater variety of videos.
            I roasted an eye of round roast in the oven. I cut a piece off the end to have with a potato and gravy but it was still a little too red inside for me and so I roasted it a little longer. I ate while watching season 7, episodes 5 and 6 of Bewitched
            In the first story Samantha and Darrin were planning on sight seeing around Salem and then going for lobster in Gloucester. But Samantha got called away to the witches convention and so Darrin reluctantly agrees to go sight seeing with Samantha’s cousin Serena. In Gloucester they are passing the Fishermen’s Memorial when Serena calls for Darrin to stop the car. She finds the statue very attractive and decides to bring it to life. The fisherman is also very attracted to Serena and they begin kissing. Darrin says that when he counts to three there’d better be a statue back on that pedestal, so Serena turns Darrin into the statue and then wanders off to make romance with the fisherman. He is deathly afraid of the water though because he represents drowned fishermen. Later Samantha is driving by the memorial and sees Serena’s car. She goes to look for Darrin and recognizes him in the statue. Then Larry is driving by with his client Mr. Barrow of Barrow Umbrellas. Larry wants Darrin to meet Barrow to tell him some ideas for selling his product. Samantha says they’ll meet them for lunch at the Gloucester House later. She looks for Serena but later finds her and the fisherman singing Blow the Man Down at Larry and Barrow’s table, much to their annoyance. Samantha gets Serena to reverse the spell and Samantha brings Darrin to the table. They convince Barrow that the fisherman was part of an ad campaign to masculinize the umbrella so more men will buy them. The image is of a sailor with one hand on the wheel in a storm while holding a Barrow umbrella.
            In the second story Larry sends the replica of a Paul Revere teapot to where Samantha and Darrin are staying at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem. Also Esmerelda, who is babysitting Tabitha and Adam back in Connecticut and pops in because Tabitha wants to change the baby. She wants to change him into a rabbit. Samantha has been shopping and since Esmerelda sees several packages she offers to transport them home. She does so but later Samantha notices that Esmerelda has taken the teapot as well. Larry meant it to be a gift from Darrin to Sir Lesley Bancroft of British Imperial Textiles. Darrin is on vacation and he doesn’t want to do business and so Larry asks for the teapot back. Samantha sends a message to Esmerelda to send the Paul revere teapot back but she accidentally sends Paul Revere and his horse instead. When Darrin comes with Sir Leslie, Revere thinks they are in league with the British, especially when he talks about invading the American market and establishing British Imperial at the top. Revere rides off to warn everyone that the British are coming but after a few minutes he is arrested. Samantha visits him in his cell then she transports him to Boston to show him his statue and to make him realize how worthwhile his original ride was. Then the teapot appears in her hands from Esmerelda, and after looking at it Revere says it isn’t a replica but an original. He puts his mark on it and now it’s worth a fortune. He it gives to Samantha before he is transported back in time by Esmerelda. Samantha brings it to Darrin, Larry and Sir Lesley. Larry presents it to Sir Lesley but he says it is far too valuable and gives it to Darrin. Samantha has magically placed a full page ad on behalf of Darrin with the blurb, “The British are Coming” with British Imperial Textiles written under it. Sir Lesley loves it. 
            Paul Revere was played by Bert Convy, who played first base in minor league baseball teams in the early 50s. He was a member of the pop group The Cheers, and had a hit in 1955 with “Black denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots”. He co-starred in the sitcom Hero at Large. He hosted the game shows Tattletales (for which he won an Emmy) and Super Password. He co-created with Burt Reynolds the game show Win Lose or Draw. He co-starred in the movies Semi Tough, SST Death Flight, Jennifer, and The Man in the Santa Clause Suit. He starred in Racquet. He directed Weekend Warriors.




No comments:

Post a Comment