Friday 2 August 2024

Carol Wayne


            On Thursday morning I memorized the first two verses of “Trente-deux Fahrenheit” by Serge Gainsbourg and revised my translation. 
            I played my Gibson Les Paul Studio during song practice for the second of two sessions. Tomorrow I’ll start two sessions of playing the Kramer. 
            I weighed 87.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I sanded the top right half of the northern wall of my bathroom. I was sweating a lot and getting the wall wet as I worked. 
            I weighed 87.55 before lunch, which is the lightest I’ve been at midday since last Thursday. 
            I saw the landlord struggling up the stairs while I was on my way out. He asked how I was. I took the opportunity of pleasantness to remind him that he’d said he was going to treat the building for bedbugs after the apartment upstairs was renovated. I suspect that unit one still has bedbugs because I saw a healthy one a month ago and that’d really be the most likely place it would have come from. His mood darkened and he said, “No more bedbugs!” He said if everybody lets him raise the rent 15% he’d have the place treated. Then he said all seven units would need to complain for him to hire pest control. He doesn’t realize that getting them now while they’re on the run is cheaper in the long run than waiting until the whole building is infested again. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought five bags of red grapes, a pack of raspberries, bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, three bags of skim milk, and two packs of Full City Dark coffee. 
            I stopped at the bank machine on my way out. There was a guy ahead of me pushing buttons but without putting a card in. I stood behind him and he kept turning to look at me. Then he asked me to turn around. I said, “No. I’m not watching you”. He pushed a few more buttons and then said, “Give me back my fucking card!” before walking away. 
            I weighed 87.25 kilos at 18:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:53. 
            I took my camera and tripod out to look for people to put on video for my project. I walked to Sorauren and then home. Still no sign of Whispering Ghost. 
            I imported the video of my August 27 song practice into Movie Maker as well as the audio recording. I started a project for my performance of “Baby Pop” in that session. I established the beginning of the video timeline for the song and worked on synchronizing the audio with the video. The audio was about two seconds behind when I quit for the night. 
            I grilled a rack of pork ribs and had three ribs with a potato and gravy while watching season 6, episodes 7 and 8 of Bewitched
            Halloween is approaching and Samantha is making a princess costume for Tabitha. Endora appears and notices an ugly old witch mask. She becomes offended as usual by the portrayal that demeans the minority group of witches. Samantha says she is helping out on the Trick or Treat for UNICEF committee and she is making costumes for some of the neighbourhood kids. Endora tells her she’s been brainwashed by Darrin. Darrin happens to be there and he never knows when to shut up. He implies that Endora is as ugly as the fictional witches with a long nose that she should keep out of other people’s business. The next day at work Darrin notices his face is changing. He’s grown a wart like the one on the mask. He’s also missing several teeth and the ones he has have been blackened and made crooked. His eyebrows have gotten bushy and his chin is becoming pointed. He decides to go home and his hat becomes a stereotypical pointed witch’s hat. He rushes home but gets ticketed for speeding, at which point he has long, red, pointed fingernails. When he gets home he immediately delivers a sincere apology to Endora that moves her so much that she immediately removes the spell. But then Darrin opens his big mouth again and says that it was still none of her business whether he and his family celebrates Halloween. Endora right away renews the spell. Samantha promises her mother that if she reverses the spell she won’t take Tabitha trick or treating, so Endora takes it away again. When Darrin gets to work the next day he learns that the wife of an important client named Bartinbach is the chairman of the Trick or Treating for UNICEF committee. So when Bartinbach learns that Samantha quit the committee he is no longer interested in keeping his account with McMann and Tate. Darrin tells Samantha not to fight his battles for him. Millions of starving children are more important than a stubborn witch. Endora appears and reinstates the spell because she agrees. So Darrin goes trick or treating as an ugly witch and makes a record amount of money for UNICEF. The Bartinbachs are impressed and Mr. Bartinbach has an idea to use an ugly witch in his ad campaign for his beauty products. Darrin doesn’t think it’s a good idea. Samantha suggests they use Glinda the Good Witch of the North from the Wizard of Oz instead of an ugly witch. Darrin thinks it’s a great idea. He tells Bartinbach that kids love ugly witches but children aren’t the ones who buy the products. Bartinbach likes the idea. 
            In the second story Tabitha’s birthday is approaching. Uncle Arthur comes to join the celebration. Darrin resents his presence. Arthur tells Darrin that in a battle of wits he’s unarmed. He also says Darrin has very few faults but he makes the most of the ones he has. Arthur gives Tabitha a wish box. She wishes for a bunny rabbit and it’s there inside. At Tabitha’s party Arthur puts on a magic show for the kids. During the show Larry comes by with the client Mr. Sylvester. Arthur’s big finale is to hold up a black cloth and to conjure a bunny. Tabitha’s bunny disappears from her lap but when Arthur removes the cloth there is human Playboy type bunny sitting behind it. He’s turned Tabitha’s bunny into a nightclub bunny. Arthur tries to make her disappear but it doesn’t work. Sylvester is enamoured with Bunny, who acts and speaks like a stereotypical dumb blonde. Sylvester and Bunny leave the party together. Samantha finds them in a cocktail lounge. Sylvester meets his girlfriend who recently dumped him but now says he can call her. Samantha invites Bunny to a vegetarian dinner and so Sylvester and Larry come as well. Sylvester announces that he and Bunny are engaged. Samantha says “I hope you like large families”. Sylvester says “Not right away” but Bunny says “Yes, right away!”. She says she wants to have hundreds of children. Samantha asks about Sylvester’s hunting lodge and what he hunts. He says fox, beaver, and rabbit. Bunny exclaims “Rabbits!” and slaps his face. Sylvester gets back together with his old girlfriend. Arthur returns after getting his powers recharged by Dr. Bombay. He tries to change Bunny back to a rabbit but ends up making five more of the human type bunnies. 
            Bunny was played by Carol Wayne, who skated in the Ice Capades as a teenager. She worked as a topless showgirl in Las Vegas. She played opposite Johnny Carson in over 100 sketches on The Tonight Show. Her most well known character was the Matinee Lady. She also appeared in many sketches on the Red Skelton Show. Her most critically acclaimed performance was in the movie Heartbreakers. Roger Ebert said she pulled the whole film together. She posed for Playboy in February 1984. She died under suspicious circumstances during a vacation in Mexico and the mystery of her death was never resolved. She had gone for a walk on the beach after an argument with her boyfriend but had always avoided going in the water because she couldn’t swim. She was found drowned fully clothed in one meter of water and there were no traces of alcohol or drugs in her system.








No comments:

Post a Comment