Friday 23 August 2024

Nan Martin


            On Thursday I ran through singing and playing “Wha’d Ya Do Wha’d Ya Do Billie Boo?”, my translation of “D’où reviens-tu Billy Boy?” by Boris Vian. Tomorrow I’ll upload it to my Christian’s Translations blog. 
            I memorized the fifth verse of “Amours des feintes” (Feinting Romance) by Serge Gainsbourg. There is one verse and one chorus left to nail down. 
            I weighed 86.65 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I’ve been in the morning since August 9. 
            Around midday I finished sanding the part of the north wall in the bathroom that’s below the shelves. All that’s left on that side is of the room is the lower left part of the wall and that should only take one session. After that there’s just the lower left part of the southern wall and the door and frame. I might have all the sanding done next week and then I’ll start filling the depressions, holes and cracks.
            I weighed 86.95 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back stopped at Freshco. I bought four bags of green grapes, a bag of red grapes, a bag of cherries, two packs of raspberries, bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, two packs of Full City Dark coffee, and a jar of salsa. The raspberries were $3.99 a pack but I did a price match and got them for $1.99. 
            I weighed 86 kilos at 18:30. That’s the lowest it’s been since August 8. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:30. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “The Next State of Grace” I needed some video for my line, “Guess I’ll sit here and wait for the next state of grace”. I chose a clip from the video I shot of myself on the street a couple of months ago. Then I needed a clip to lip synch Brian Haddon’s response to that line in the recording. I wanted to include what little I was able to capture on July 1 of Whispering Ghost mouthing some of the line. I tried to convert the MP4 to WMV using Total Video Converter but despite it working before it didn’t convert this time. So I changed it instead to AVI and was successful. I edited the clip and inserted it into the main video to match the half line, “Sit here and wait”. Then I converted the video of the guy named Matthew who I shot last month also to AVI. I imported it to Movie Maker and placed it at the end of the timeline. I edited some possible clips and I’ll insert one of them tomorrow. 
            I had a potato with gravy while watching season 7, episodes 19 and 20 of Bewitched
            In the first story Samantha’s powers aren’t working. Her cousin Serena pops in and suggests that she go for her 10,000 spell checkup. While she’s away she tasks Serena with babysitting. Larry shows up to take Darrin to work and says that Darrin and Samantha have to host Mr. and Mrs. Berkley for dinner so they can land the Berkely account. Darrin says they can’t do it because Samantha is out town but Serena makes herself look like Samantha and says dinner will be no problem at all. When Darrin is leaving she asks for a kiss and since Larry is there he can’t refuse. He goes to give her a peck but she grabs him and gives him something more passionate. While Serena is babysitting they play hide and seek and since it’s not as much fun with two players, Serena brings several of Tabitha’s toys to life. They all hide and Serena finds all but the troll that hides in the closet. Darrin makes Serena promise to be nice to the guests. Roland and Martha Berkely arrive and Serena as Samantha gives Roland a kiss on the lips. Then Serena sits with Roland and says she’s interested in exploring the sense of touch and holds hands with him. He responds positively and thinks Martha should pay attention to what she’s saying about expressing warmth through touch. Darrin drags Serena into the kitchen where Samantha returns and dismisses her cousin. Meanwhile in the living room an angry Martha wants to go home. Roland takes her hand and says she’s a little jealous. She finally admits to being a lot jealous and it makes Roland happy. He takes both of her hands and she responds positively. Samantha covers for what appeared to be her previous actions by saying her behaviour was part of a lesson in sensitivity awareness. Then the hairy troll comes out of hiding and Berkely thinks it represents Darrin’s idea for selling Berkely’s hair tonic to the younger generation that has lost interest in hair tonic. Darrin jumps in and says Harry the troll will play the “before” part in the Berkely campaign. Berkely loves it. 
            Martha was played by Nan Martin, who studied theatre at UCLA. She started as a fashion model. She made her Broadway debut in A Story for a Sunday Evening in 1950. Her film debut was in The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit. She was nominated for a Tony for her role in “J.B.” She played Ali McGraw’s mother in Goodbye Columbus and Freddy Krueger’s mother in Nightmare on Elm Street 3. She co-starred in For Love of Ivy. She played Grace D’Angelo on the short lived sitcom Mr. Sunshine. She played Mrs. Louder on The Drew Carey Show. She played Victoria Miller in an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.



           In the second story Endora casts a spell on Darrin to make him chronically indecisive about every little thing. Samantha realizes right away that it’s a spell and tries to get her mother to reverse it but she is evasive. Darrin has to present a jingle for Colonel Bringham’s spareribs and he has two that he has created but even in front of Bringham he can’t decide which is best. The first jingle “Yum Goes Your Tummy” is to the tune of Pop Goes the Weasel. The other one is based on This Little Piggy. Bringham tells Darrin to make up his mind what he’s sold on so he can sell him. Larry sends Darrin home and tells him Bringham is coming over for dinner. Darrin goes home and Samantha finally gets Endora to remove the spell. But then Endora accuses Darrin of being pigheaded and gives him a pig’s head. Now he can only squeal but Samantha seems to understand what he’s saying. Then Endora puts Darrin on display on the roof. He’s up there when Larry and Bringham arrive. Samantha tells them the pigheaded man is going to be a revolving mascot for all of Bringham’s restaurants. Then Samantha sings a Colonel Bringham’s ribs jingle to the tune of Old McDonald with Darrin squealing the responses. Bringham thinks it’s sensational. Samantha gets Endora to remove the spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment