Sunday 4 August 2024

Dick Sargent


            On Saturday morning I memorized the second verse of “D’où reviens-tu Billy Boy?” (“Where Have You Been Billy Boy?) by Boris Vian. That’s basically half the song. 
            I finished memorizing “Trente-deux Fahrenheit” by Serge Gainsbourg. I searched for the chords but no one had posted them and so I worked them out for the first verse. 
            Around midday I hitched my bike trailer and headed for the supermarket. I stopped at Freedom Mobile on the way to pay for my August plan. Then I went to Vina Pharmacy to pick up my prescription. At No Frills I checked for price matches on the grapes and cherries. Freshco had cheaper green grapes but I wanted red so I just paid the No Frills price. I bought three bags of red grapes, two bags of cherries, a basket of peaches, a pack of chicken legs, a jar of Basilica sauce, two boxes of spoon size shredded wheat, a jug of orange juice, a jug of low sugar iced tea, a container of skyr, a bag of Miss Vickie’s sweet chili chips, and a pack of toilet paper. Because of Caribana there were cars parked in the middle of King Street in front of No Frills. I had to walk my bike out into the left lane to get around them. 
            When I got home I went back out to buy a six-pack of Creemore. It was my first time in the liquor store since the strike ended because I’d stocked up. 
            I had Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar for lunch with a glass of low sugar iced tea. 
           I took a siesta for ninety minutes and though I know I slept the whole time I woke up feeling like I hadn’t slept at all.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 87.35 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:25. 
            I went out with my camera and tripod to look for people to put on video for my project. I walked to Sorauren and back to Elm Grove. I ran into Sal, who told me he saw Whispering Ghost this morning. I guess I’ll eventually run into him so I can reshoot that video. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my performance of “Baby Pop” I established the end of the video timeline. I added a fade to black, a posterizing effect combined with the effect of spanning the colour spectrum. I set the balance between the audio from the Shure mic and the camera mic. I published the video then made a thumbnail to use for the YouTube video. Tomorrow I’ll upload it. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 6, episodes 11 and 12 of Bewitched
            The first story is a continuation of the previous episode. Samantha’s father Maurice has given Darrin a watch that grants him the powers of a warlock. At first Darrin refuses it but Maurice convinces him that since Samantha has lived as a mortal for five years to please him the least he can do is live the life of a warlock for one day. But Maurice also persuades Darrin through hypnotism to go against his own sense of morality by spying on one of his clients. At the end of the previous episode we see Darrin beginning to enjoy the warlock life while Samantha does not like the change he’s going through. That night Bliss senior and junior of the Bliss Pharmaceuticals account are coming to Darrin’s house for dinner along with Darrin’s boss Larry. Before that Larry catches Darrin using his new powers and Darrin convinces him that they are the result of mind over matter. When Larry wants to use Darrin’s powers to conquer the world Darrin starts to realize where his priorities really lie and wants to return to the simple life. Darrin goes home by cab instead of magic and gives Maurice back the watch. Maurice implies that William Shakespeare was a warlock when he quotes him. That night Darrin tells Bliss senior that he’s wrong to want to cling to the old fashioned presentation of Bliss cough syrup. The updated design would increase sales by more than 20%. Bliss admires Darrin’s spunk but insists on the conservative approach. Larry fires Darrin that night but the next day he comes back and says that Bliss changed his mind and now wants his product sold according to Darrin’s ideas. 
            In the second story Samantha needs to feed baby Adam while Tabitha wants her to read Mother Goose. So Samantha summons her part time maid Esmerelda to read to Tabitha. Esmerelda’s powers have a tendency to malfunction but absolutely go haywire when she sneezes. The result this time is that she conjures Mother Goose herself. Meanwhile Darrin’s mother Phyllis shows up at their door having left Darrin’s father Frank over his reaction to her new modern wardrobe. Instead of telling her she looks beautiful he said, “That’s SOME outfit!” Frank shows up looking for Phyllis and meets Mother Goose who Samantha introduces as her delusional aunt who thinks she is Mother Goose. Frank finds Mother Goose’s old fashioned manners charming and Mother Goose is attracted to Frank. Then Esmerelda sneezes and Mother Goose turns into a goose. When Esmerelda feels insecure she partially disappears and so Frank sees a pair of glasses floating in mid-air. Phyllis and Frank decide if they are losing their minds they can at least do so together. 
            Darrin from season 6 to the end of the final 8th season was played by Dick Sargent, whose mother had been a minor actor and whose father had been a business manager for Douglas Fairbanks. He majored in drama at Stanford University. His film debut was an uncredited role in Prisoner of War. He co-starred on the sitcoms One Happy Family, Down to Earth, and Broadside. He had actually been the original choice to play Darrin on Bewitched but he was under contract with Universal. He co-starred in Parts: The Clonus Horror. He came out as gay after being diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years before dying of that affliction.




No comments:

Post a Comment