Thursday 1 August 2024

Pat Priest


            On Wednesday morning I memorized the chorus and the first verse of “D’où reviens-tu Billy Boy?” (“Where Have You Been Billy Boy?) by Boris Vian. 
            I published on my Christian’s Translations blog “One Love Can Serve to Cover Another”, my translation of “Un amour peut en cacher un autre” by Serge Gainsbourg. I also posted the lyrics on Facebook after the power went off and back on. It only went off for a minute or two but it took ten minutes to get the computer restarted and everything I was working on loaded again. There are now eighteen Gainsbourg songs left for me to learn. I started listening to his song “Trente-deux Fahrenheit” and realized that I was missing the last two verses. I tracked those down and tomorrow I’ll start memorizing the song. 
            I played my Gibson Les Paul Studio during song practice for the first of two sessions. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I cleaned my bathroom sink and toilet again. Since I finished sanding the upper part of the eastern wall there was a lot of dust that came down in the sink and toilet so I figured I’d get that out of the way before I start sanding the northern wall. 
            I weighed 88 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of low sugar iced tea. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. It was a very hot day but I’ve experienced much worse. 
            I weighed 87.7 kilos at 17:40. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:40. 
            I compared the video of my August 28 song practice performance of "Dance and Sing to Baby Pop" to August 16. They both look good but I think August 16 looks and feels a bit better. I compared September 1 to August 16 and I still think August 16 is the best for look and expression. August 16 then is my choice for uploading an acoustic version of that song to YouTube. 
            I took my camera and tripod out to look for people to video record for my project. I walked to Sorauren and back towards Elm Grove. On a bench in front of the Dollarama a woman called my name. It was one of my former yoga students from PARC. She gets around with the help of a rollator now because of a hip problem. She’d stopped to rest after walking from the community health clinic near Dufferin. She only had about another block to go. She asked me for a loonie so she could buy a bottle of water at the Dollarama but I only had $10 bills. I offered to go home and get her a loonie but she said no. I continued on to Elm Grove and then home. I saw her sitting in front of the entrance to the Dollarama as I unlocked my door. 
            I compared the videos of my electric performances of “Baby Pop” on September 4 and 14. They’re both okay but there’s nothing special enough about them to make me want to upload either of them to YouTube. My acoustic performances of that song are much better. I compared the videos of my August 14 and 20 performances of “Dance and Sing to Baby Pop” and I think August 14 looks better and is more expressive. So I’ll be uploading the August 14 video to YouTube. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce, the meat from my last chicken drumstick, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 6, episodes 5 and 6 of Bewitched
            In the first story Samantha has her baby and her father Maurice appears at the hospital because he sensed the vibrations. He waits for the birth in the waiting room with Darrin until they are informed that Samantha has had a baby boy. In the nursery behind the viewing glass where all the newborns are kept, Maurice is offended that his grandson has been placed in the second row. He magically moves him to front row centre and casts a spell to cause anyone who sees him to fall in love with him. First all the nurses are smitten. Then a crowd gathers outside the glass. Even those who came to view their own children ignore them to gaze lovingly at the Stevens baby. Larry says he’ll trade his own son if he can adopt Darrin’s. He immediately orders a photo shoot to make Samantha and Darrin’s baby the poster child for a baby food campaign. At that point Darrin and Samantha realize that Maurice has cast a spell. Eventually he agrees to remove it. 
            The nurse supervisor Mrs. Goodall was played by Pat Priest, whose mother was the US treasurer from 1953 to 1961. Pat was a Washington debutant in the 1950s and a beauty contest winner. She moved to LA where she was modelling, doing commercials and community theatre when she was cast as the second Marilyn Munster after Beverly Owen quit the job to get married. She co-starred in the Elvis film Easy Come Easy Go and in The Incredible Two Headed Transplant. When she retired from acting she renovated and resold houses and became an antique dealer. She continued to attend Munsters fan events. 




           


            
            In the second story Samantha and Darrin have named their baby Frank Maurice following the tradition of the first born male being named after the father’s father. But of course the Shakespearian ham Maurice is offended that he was not honoured with top billing. He imprisons Darrin inside of a mirror until he agrees to do as he wishes but Samantha eventually persuades him to set Darrin free. Then Maurice has a conversation with Darrin’s father and learns that he himself was named after his grandfather and has always hated being called “Little Frank”. He agrees to relinquish his grandson being named after him. But then Samantha uses similar psychology on Maurice, informing him that people are bound to get in the habit of called her son “Morrie” if his name is Maurice. Maurice is revolted and gives up his hold. He suggests he be named Adam like his own grandfather (Not that Adam). Darrin pretends to disagree because he’s starting to understand Maurice’s psychology. But everyone now agrees the child’s name will be Adam.



No comments:

Post a Comment