Friday 7 June 2024

June 7, 1994: Michelle and I exchanged poems


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday night I hosted my weekly writers open stage: The Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy in the Art Bar of The Gladstone Hotel. Michelle, who had responded to my personals ad in Now Magazine came for the second week in a row and we exchanged poems. I performed “Dashine”. 

Dashine 

The streetcar is dragging my dead heart home 
from a minor romantic defeat 
I was standing along with a nervous line 
legs anticipating a seat 

Then in front of the firing squad of my eyes 
walked a beautiful African girl 
My eyes bounced to and away from her 
while my lips tried to jump-start a smile 

Then suddenly and so effortlessly 
she poured me a long sweet smiling drink 
and suddenly I had the ability 
to smile back at her though it was weak

But what I should’ve done is said 
Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 
Don’t bend that lovely bow to use my heart for target practice 
Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 
Don’t make my hormones go and then tell me you’re just an actress 
Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 

I was far too shy to approach her there 
but I swore that I’d talk with her soon 
I would sit by her side when the streetcar arrived 
and I’d start with a “Hi how are you?”

So I went to get gum at the Garfields
to chew it and mask my bad breath 
in breathless preparation
for a moment bringing rebirth or death 

The man at the counter asked how I’d been 
I told him that I’d been okay 
He said “Is that why you look so cheerful then?” 
and I asked “What did you say?” 

When I picked up his friendly sarcasm 
I was about to justify 
why I don’t smile when I suddenly saw 
that the streetcar’d already arrived

The girl with the smile was just ahead in line 
but somehow some other man 
had me beat for that sweet seat beside her
though without any romantic plan

I was about to turn around to sit 
just ahead and across the aisle 
when she pulled that red bow of her mouth once more 
and unwrapped me another smile 

So I thought “She must really have liked me 
to smile sweetly two times in a row 
so I was determined to talk with her shortly 
or else I might not ever know 

I decided to ride until she got off 
to catch up and then talk with her then 
so I stayed in my seat and I missed my stop 
because I might not see her again 

As the streetcar came closer to Parkdale 
I was ready to spring for the door 
but my matching that place with her sweet chocolate face 
was it racist or merely a bore?

At Spadina I expected this angel
to descend into some trendy hell 
but if tempted she didn’t show it 
her hand never reached for the bell 

At University all of the Shriners 
who’d gotten on at the Motel strip 
stumbled drunkenly out into their parade 
but she still continued to sit 

When Yonge street came she got off the car 
Would she go into the Hudson’s Bay?
“Oh goddamnit no” I had to pay again 
just to follow her on the subway 

I trailed her fifteen bodies behind 
and caught up with her on the platform
“Hi” I said with relief in my voice 
and she gave a “Hi” in return 

I told her she was very beautiful 
“Thanks” she said, kind of indifferently
“What’s your name?” I asked and she said “Dashine” 
showing pride that her name was unique 

“I’m Christian” I told her with even more pride
She said “Hi” one more time to my name
then I said “Hi” in response to her “Hi” 
just to balance that stale greeting game 

“Do you work out in the west end?” I asked
She said “No, that’s where I live” 
“and where are you headed for now?” 
I asked She told me “I’m meeting a friend” 

“Oh ya” I said for the sake of response 
as the train slid up packed end to end 
“Oh shit” she said in response to the crowd 
but we managed to squeeze our way in 

As the train jerked itself into motion I asked 
“Do you go to school or do you work?” 
“I work” she said and she seemed annoyed 
asking “What are all of these questions for?”

“Oh... I... ah... oh... I’m sorry” I said 
She told me that it was okay 
“I need to ask questions to talk” I said
She said “I’ve had a trying day” 

“Do you always smile as sweetly as that 
when you’ve had a trying day?” I asked
She rolled her eyes in response to that 
like she was taking both of those smiles back 

on a web running back to her spidery guts 
which had spewed them out with so much art 
Now both of those smiles she had given me 
left a sour aftertaste in my heart

I hung nervously from the overhead bar 
while the cookie that is my poor heart 
was crumbled in the grip of the moment 
and it fell to the floor of the car 

I tossed her a couple of whimpering smiles 
without daring to look in her eyes 
but the limp smiles that she handed back to me 
were just anorexic good-byes 

At Wellesley Station she got off the train 
I followed but got washed far behind 
by the counterflow of the passenger flesh 
descending to get on the line 

I tried to intercept her 
by ascending a clearer stairway 
to explain why I’d taken such trouble 
but by now she was too far away 

But I should’ve found some way to tell her 
I should’ve climbed on a transfer dispenser and shouted 
I should’ve hijacked the fucking public address system 
and screamed this message out 
to every post pubescent girl 
and every woman there
with their chromosomal licenses to tease 

Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 
Don’t bend that lovely bow to use my heart for target practice 
Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 
Don’t make my hormones go and then tell me you’re just an actress 
Don’t smile at me unless you wanna have sex with me 

No comments:

Post a Comment