Tuesday 11 June 2024

Varada Sethu


            On Monday morning I ran through singing and playing “On fait des rêves” (We Keep Dreaming) by Boris Vian in French. Tomorrow I’ll make some adjustments to my translation. 
            I memorized the seventh verse of “Et quand bien même” (And Even If) by Serge Gainsbourg. I should have the whole song in my head on Tuesday. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the second of four sessions. 
            I weighed 89.5 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the morning this year. 
            I couldn’t take a shower this morning or take an early bike ride downtown because I was waiting for the package from Amazon that they failed to deliver yesterday. All tracking ever says for the carrier Intelcom is that they will be here by 20:00. 
            I guess it paid off to use a broom handle to prop open the downstairs door because my package was delivered a little after noon and left in the second floor hallway in front of my bedroom door. The cover of the guide book of the Samsung SSD T7 says that it’s “potable”. I’ll remember that if I get snowed in and run out of food. It’s about as thin and wide as a graham cracker and half as long. Now the biggest electronic item I have in my home (refrigerator) and the smallest (external hard drive) are both by Samsung. 
            I had time to take a shower. 
            I weighed 89 kilos before lunch. That’s a heavy record for middays this year. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. On the way up O’Hara I realized that I’d forgotten to put in my denture before leaving. If had planned on stopping at the supermarket or on having an accident I would have gone back to put it in. But since this was just a ride out and back I would not grin and bear it. 
            I weighed 88.65 kilos at 17:21. That’s the most I’ve weighed in the evening this year.
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:18.
            I compared the videos of my acoustic performances of “The Post Colonial Breakdown” on August 10 and 12. Neither of them are winners but August 10 looks better so I’ll keep it in the running for now. I compared August 16 to August 10 and without a doubt August 16 looks and sounds better. I compared August 22 to August 16 and I think I play better, look a bit better and am friendlier on August 16. I compared August 26 to August 16 and there’s some guitar fumbling on August 26. I compared August 28 with August 16 and they are very close in quality but I look friendlier on August 16 and so I’ll stay with that for now. I compared September 1 to August 16 and they are about the same other than the fact that I look friendlier on August 16 and so that take is still out ahead. There are two takes left to compare and so I’ll make a decision tomorrow. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “Angeline” I watched the video and saw there was nothing more that needed to be done. I published it and uploaded it to YouTube. The next video I make for a studio recording will be “The Next State of Grace”. 


            I wanted to start copying the files from my old external hard drive (that was made from an old computer hard drive) to the Samsung. But when I plugged in the Samsung it seems I needed to download Samsung Magician, so I did that. By the time it had downloaded there was no time to transfer any files because it was time for dinner. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 14, episode 3 of Doctor Who. 
            On a distant planet in the far future two soldier-priests are making their way through a mine field. One of them, John Francis Vater has been blinded and he is being led back to base by Carson. The enemies in this war are the Kastarians, who no one has ever seen. Carson steps on a landmine and blows up, leaving Vater sightless and alone. The explosion attracts one of the robot ambulances. It analyzes Vater and finds that his blindness would take four weeks to heal. That is unacceptable and so the ambulance kills him. The Doctor exits the Tardis, hears Vater’s scream and runs towards it. But when he reaches the scene he steps on a landmine. Ruby exits the Tardis and hears the Doctor singing. She follows his voice to where he is standing on one leg on the landmine. He gets her to describe the mine and she tells him it has a “V” on it. He says it stands for Villengard, the biggest weapons manufacturer in recorded history. He asks her to bring him something heavy. She finds a cylinder containing the compressed remains of Vater and brings it. She gives him the cylinder as a counterbalance so he can stop standing on one foot. Now one foot is on the ground. When the Doctor reads the name on the cylinder it projects an AI hologram of Vater who states how he died. Rose doesn’t understand how someone could die of blindness. The Doctor explains that war is business and four weeks to treat blindness would have been too expensive. Then Vater’s daughter Splice comes from the base looking for her father whose voice she just heard. When she sees the hologram she runs towards it and Rose stops her so she doesn’t set off the mine. Then a soldier-priest named Mundy confronts them, saying she is an ordained Anglican Marine. She warns the Doctor to let go of Vater’s sacred remains. She explains that the landmine is not itself explosive but it triggers a quantum level chain reaction in the subject’s DNA. She tells him he is the explosive. He explains to her that the complexity of his Time Lord DNA if turned into a bomb would destroy half of the planet. He invites Mundy to scan him and she sees that’s the case. The ambulance comes and shoots its cables into the Doctor to analyze his situation. Ruby wants to lure the ambulance away from the Doctor so she grabs Mundy’s weapon and steps away to fire in the air. Mundy says it won’t work unless there is an injury so she tells Rose to put the gun on setting one and to shoot her left arm. But another soldier-priest named Canterbury who is in love with Mundy arrives on the scene and seeing Rose about to shoot Mundy he shoots Rose, who is then severely injured. The ambulance attaches to her and knows her name and her age of over 3000 years but doesn’t seem to be able to access the name of her next of kin. Meanwhile it begins to snow on a planet where it never snows. Then the snow suspends in mid air as Rose’s vital signs begin to fail. The ambulance refuses to treat her because she is not ordained. Mundy says the Doctor will explode in five minutes and wants to know what to do. The Doctor says they need to surrender. Mundy says that wouldn’t switch off the landmine. The Doctor tells her it would because it is an Anglican landmine. He says there are no Kastarians. They don’t even exist. The Anglicans declared war on an empty planet, which activated the Villengard algorithm in their own system to maintain an acceptable casualty rate that keeps Villengard profiting. The Anglicans are fighting their own hardware and it is killing them in just the right amount to keep them buying more. He says they have faith and that keeps them from thinking. Mundy says, “Prove it”. The Doctor says, “Now you need proof, faith girl?” The Doctor summons Vater’s AI hologram and asks it to download itself into the Villengard battle computer and find proof that the planet is uninhabited and that the casualty rate is triggered by hardware. Vater says he is not part of the network. The Doctor says the ambulance is connected to the network and it is connected to the Doctor and the Doctor is connected to Vater. The Doctor appeals to the consciousness of Vater as a parent even though his consciousness shouldn’t be in the hologram. Vater enters the system. The ambulance voice says he is a virus that they have eliminated. The Doctor is about to explode but suddenly the Vater virus takes over. The ambulance treats Rose and revives her. The Villengard arms industry has just been overridden by one dead father. 
            Mundy was played by Varada Sethu, who was a member of the National Youth Theatre. She studied classical Indian dance from a young age. She won the Miss Newcastle competition in 2010. She attended the Identity School of Acting in London. Her screen debut was in a short film called Impressions. Her first feature film appearance was in Sket. She was a regular in season seven of Strike Back: Revolution. In April 2024 it was announced that she had been cast as one of the Doctor’s companions on Doctor Who.





No comments:

Post a Comment