Thursday 10 December 2015

Falling Asleep and Dreaming while Playing Guitar


           

            My Tuesday morning yoga was the test of just how injured I was by the putzdestrian on Monday. I found my right wrist and upper arm to be limited but the only thing I absolutely couldn’t do was to put weight on my right knee. I don’t feel the damage to be internal and so I assume the kneecap is bruised. In addition to that though, I was extremely exhausted after my yoga. I had gone to bed and gotten up an hour early but I don’t know if that explains it. I had also drunk a pint and a half the night before, which is something I’m not used to these days. Maybe the injury had just made me tired so I would rest and heal, but I tried to practice my songs anyway. I played and sang several songs but I noticed my chords weren’t sounding very good because I was so tired that I wasn’t pressing down very hard on the strings. I managed to get more than halfway through my normal set when a very bizarre thing happened. I fell asleep while playing and singing and actually had a dream. I dreamed that I was standing there as I was in the middle of my living room and that my daughter, Astrid, now middle aged, was standing in front of me with a cane and her fiancé, Lauren was just in front and to my right, looking sideways at me. Astrid was approaching to embrace me but I was so tired and out of it that I couldn’t respond to her, which made her feel uncomfortable and so she backed away a bit. Then I woke up and found myself still singing the song. I think I tried half of another song when that was done, but having dreamt while singing convinced me to just go back to bed.
            That afternoon at 17:00 I took my velo down the street to Bike Pirates. Two volunteers greeted me as I came in and one asked if I needed to use a stand. I said I did and he said, “There’s a bit of a line-up.” I looked to the back and saw no one there, and then he laughed and said he was kidding.
            I clamped my bike to a stand and told the volunteers about my accident. The less experienced volunteer told me that I should wear a helmet. I argued that I didn’t hit my head. The other volunteer said that a head could get crushed even while wearing a helmet so it doesn’t matter.
            It turned out that the problem wasn’t as serious as I’d thought it was. The fall had simply thrown my front brakes out of line, so the volunteer helped me with it. He helped me a little more than he should have for a do it yourself shop, but maybe he was bored and since I was the only one there he wanted something to do. Once the brakes were fixed they told me that I’m due for a new chain and that though my freewheel is fine it’s best to buy a new freewheel with a new chain so they wear together. I said that would be fine, but I would have to get them and then come back to pay them after I went to the bank. The volunteer asked a guy who seemed to be acting manager at that time and he said that I would need to leave my bike there while I went for the money. I asked with surprise, “You want me to leave my bike here while I go downtown?” He said, “Well, you would have to leave something here so we could be sure we get our money. We need to pay rent. That’s something I hadn’t encountered at Bike Pirates up until then. Usually I’ve been trusted and I’ve certainly never betrayed that trust. I told them, “I come in here all the time and I just live next door! My daughter used to volunteer here!” but they were unmoved. I decided not to get the new parts and that if I needed them I’d come back on another day when there were nicer volunteers working the shop, who recognize me and know I won’t rip them off. If the guy was so concerned about making the rent he should have trusted me, then they would have had some money later on that evening. As it was, I gave a $4.90 donation for the use of the shop and left. As I was leaving, the volunteer reminded me; it seemed to me defensively, that Bike Pirates is still cheaper than any bike shop in Toronto. Wow, I though, he’s really trying to sell it!

No comments:

Post a Comment