Saturday 19 December 2015

Fascist Laundromat


           

            On Thursday, despite the fact that I really needed to get cracking and prepare for next Tuesday’s exam, I had to take the time to do some laundry, which couldn’t be ignored any longer.
            As I was loading my washer, the Tibetan co-manager, along with his much younger middle-aged wife, of the Laundromat was chastising an elderly Portuguese woman for overloading her washer. I got him to change a ten so I could use a five to get my quarters. I’ve never seen the couple smile. They say a quick “thank you”, and or give a nod and then turn away from you. He came over and bent over to look and make sure that I hadn’t overloaded my machine then he began trying to explain to the old lady what she had done wrong. He cut an imaginary line across the diameter of the round glass window of her washer and said, “Must be half! Better for clean!” She nodded good naturedly to keep him from bothering her.
            I went home, and then back to fill the dryer, then home again. When I came back for my dry clothing the man’s wife was on her way out the door with a cleaning rag in her hand. She looked at me soberly and without smiling said “Hi!” As I collected my laundry she was wiping the tops of the machines. They certainly do keep a clean place!
            I went online and found out that my term essay has been marked. Even though the grade is higher than my midterm paper, it’s just as disappointing because I already think my mid-term essay was worth an A-minus, even though it got a B. My term paper was much better and yet it only got a B-plus. That’s my lowest mark ever, since I’ve been in second year, for a term English essay. I’m still waiting for Professor Baker to reassess my first essay. If she ups the mark on that one I will consider resubmitting my term paper to her as well. If she doesn’t disagree with my TA’s marking on the first, there’s no point in getting her to re-grade the second.
            I watched the ninth and tenth episodes of Zombies of the Stratosphere. It seems weird that for what is supposed to be a plot to displace the planet Earth with a hydrogen bomb and replace it with Mars, only two Martians, two hired human gangsters and one crooked human scientist are involved in the project. It makes ISIS seem pretty weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment