Sunday 20 December 2015

Spock Gets In My Eyes


             
            
            On Friday Anna came to my yoga class. At the end I asked her if her name was pronounced Anna or Ahna. She told me it’s “Anna” and short for Annapurna, the Hindu goddess of food. She said that when she was young she had three dreams: she wanted to be a doctor, a soldier and a nun. She recounted that when she went to university back in India she had to take military training and was a sharpshooter. She used to take target practice on mice at home with an air rifle until her mother said she couldn’t kill animals. After she earned her Bachelor of Science degree she and her family went to Uganda, where the president was Idi Amin. Her and her thirteen-year-old brother became separated from their parents and eventually moved to Canada. Annapurna never married but her brother did and has a family. Her sister in law and her family don’t like her coming round because they think her brother spends too much money on her.
            After class I went down to the No Frills at King and Jameson to buy bananas. There were two little boys about eight years of age shopping with an adult. One boy sang to the other, “Doo bee doo bee doo!” The other responded, also in song, “Doo bee doo bee poo!” and they both giggled.
            I watched the end of Zombies of the Stratosphere. The hydrogen bomb that was supposed to knock the Earth out of orbit was set on a timer and then the Martians headed for Mars in their rocket. But Larry Martin shot them out of the sky. The only survivor was Leonard Nimoy’s character, who suddenly became good and told Martin how to stop the bomb, which he did, of course, at the last minute.
            I finished a second, flash reading of Diana Wynne Jones’s “Howl’s Moving Castle”. I would like to get three more books re-read before my exam on Tuesday, plus I need to memorize all the publication dates for the books we covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment