Friday 11 December 2015

How Leonard Nimoy got typecast: They said "Zombies of the Stratosphere" but he heard "Some Plays of the Shakospeare"


           

            My mobility during my morning yoga on Friday was pretty much the same as on Thursday but my arm and wrist seem to be aching a little less than before.
            I felt sleepy at around 10:30 so I took a siesta for an hour and a half.
            At around 14:00 I went to teach my yoga class and noticed that it was much warmer outside than the weather for which I’d dressed. I didn’t need two scarves and winter gloves. Anna came to my class, about seven minutes late, as usual. She says she’s circulating a petition to get me a teaching gig at the Masaryk-Cowan community centre, which would be a paid position. I remember giving them my resumé many years ago though, and nothing came of it.
            I finished watching Radar Men from the Moon. One thing I noticed is that in all the fistfights that happen in every episode, no one ever blocks a punch. A guy gets punched until he finds an opening and then punches back. I watched the first episode of Zombies of the Stratosphere. His was supposed to be the second twelve-part Commando Cody series but for some reason the hero was named Larry Martin. The actor who played him, Judd Holdren, returned as the masked Commando Cody in the third series. A rocket ship is detected arriving from outer space and Martin goes in his rocket suit to investigate. It unloads materials to a truck and then takes off again. Martin pursues the truck and lands on top of it. When the men inside poke their heads up, martin starts shooting at them.
            First of all, how did Martin know they were enemies? Is it against the law to land a spaceship and unload materials? It turns out that they do mean us harm but there’s no way that Martin could have known that before he started shooting. They are Martians this time and their dilemma is that their planet is too far away from the sun. Their absurd plan is to knock the Earth out of orbit with a hydrogen bomb so that they can move Mars into our planet’s position. One of their abilities is that they can stay under water for at least half an hour at a time because they are used to an environment with very little oxygen. Somehow I don’t think that’s the way it works. The production values are a little better than in the first series and it still has Aline Towne as the hero’s assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment