Friday 25 December 2015

The Doctor Ordered Shirley Bassey


            

            On Thursday I called Sahara Sprachlan, who I talk with on the phone once every six months or so but whom I haven’t seen in a few years. She suffers from chronic fatigue and that keeps her at home a lot, which is a shame because she is one of the most talented poets, songwriters and performers I’ve ever known. She suggested that we meet for coffee in her neighbourhood, and I said I would, but she changed her mind before our chat was finished, assessing that she wouldn’t have the strength for a while.
            Another old friend that is also a great poet, Michelle Ferman, sent me a Christmas card recently. She suggested that I call her, but she didn’t put her number on the card. I called an old cellphone number that I have for her and it reached a message system to which I recorded a greeting, but I don’t know if it’s her number.
            I didn’t leave the apartment at all that day because I wanted to get caught up on my journal.
            I tried to watch the third episode of the most recent season of Doctor Who but it was in MKV format and though sometimes I can play that format on my VLC software, other times the video is choppy. So I used Any Video Converter to create an AVI version and did some writing during the hour and a half I had to wait.
            Without spoiling the story, I’ll say that the Doctor and Clara arrive at a place where some people are dealing with some spooky beings and everybody’s terrified but of course the Doctor loves it and says, “I haven’t been this excited since I met Shirley Bassey!”

No comments:

Post a Comment