Tuesday 1 December 2015

Purple Bra in the Bike Lane


           

            I worked on Monday afternoon at OCADU for Bob Berger’s class. It was just one long pose in my street clothes and Bob suggested that I sit with my laptop, so I made it over halfway through Diana Wynne Jones’s “Howl’s Moving Castle”.  One of the places where the doorway of Howl’s castle exits is to modern Wales, where Howl or “Howell” is from. No one there realizes that he is a powerful wizard in another place and time. They just know that he wrote his doctorate on magic as a historical study. It also turns out that Sophie has magical powers of which she had been unaware.
            After work I rode up to Bloor and then headed east. Halfway across the Prince Edward Viaduct I passed over a purple push-up bra that was lying on the bike lane. I rode up Broadview to Chester Hill and then explored all the little streets south and west of that point to the edge of the valley. At the west end of Chester Hill there is a railing where people can stand and look down on the Don Valley Parkway, which is a marvel of aesthetic design. It must be. It wouldn’t be possible to make a valley look that ugly at sunset by accident.
            I watched a poorly named episode of Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe called “S.O.S Ice Age”. The Universal Ruler had one of his men go to the magnetic north pole to install a device that would line up the Earth’s axis with the tilt of the planet Saturn, causing the south pole to tilt towards the sun and the north away, thus thrusting the northern hemisphere into an ice age. Commando Cody and his crew go to the magnetic north pole and Cody destroys the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment