Thursday 17 December 2015

Poets Get the Bum's Rush from a Glee Club: a review of the Plastiscene Reading Series for Sunday, December 13


           

            On Sunday evening I rode through a light drizzle to get to my first Plastiscene Reading Series event in three months. I had been too busy with school to go in either October or November; and I’m still occupied with studying for my exam but it seemed ridiculous to not go one more time this year.
            I hadn’t been to the Victory Café since the end of the century when I went there to talk with the owner about moving my reading series, The Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy, there when we lost the Gladstone Hotel after being there for six years. I’d brought newspaper reviews and told him about our history but it didn’t sell him on us. Perhaps it was the name that threw him off and he didn’t want the word “orgy” in any public listings beside his club’s fine name. Shortly after that, the Art Bar reading series moved there though from the Imperial Pub. I don’t know if it was because I’d mentioned to Allan Briesmaster that I’d been looking into the place.
            It took me a few minutes to find the joint because I hadn’t remembered that it was all the way down at the south end of the block, and because they don’t have a very visible sign. Once I’d found the address, I went to lock my bike and when I came back, Cad Gold Junior was waiting for me at the front door. He said, “It’s cancelled! It’s all locked upstairs!” I went in and found Goldie, then gave her a birthday hug before going to talk to the Plastiscene hostess, Nicki Ward. She gave me a little hug when she saw me. I guess because of my friend, Paul Valliere’s death, and offered her condolences. It turned out that the event wasn’t cancelled and Cad hadn’t even asked anyone about it. When I chastised him about that he just argued that he couldn’t see well enough to recognize anyone to ask them. I suspect that there’s more to it than that but I won’t go into it right now.
            We followed Nicki up the front stairs while someone from the Victory was climbing the back to open the door for us. The physical space of the room is the best that Plastiscene’s had in its history. They started at the long and narrow Central, up the street and then moved to Paupers, which was extremely unconducive to poetry readings. The new space has a stage, good seating, good acoustics and a good atmosphere. Plastiscene should probably start putting the truth to their claim that they start at 18:00 though, because things get noisy on the other side of the second floor at around 20:00.
            Cad told Nicki, “I’m gonna read tonight!” but she teased, “I think I’m the one who decides that, but I think you’re okay.”
            We sat one table back from the stage on the left, but nobody took the table in front of us. Cad and Goldie on a cushioned bench against the wall and I took one of the many sturdy old style barrel back wooden library chairs.
            Cad had gotten Goldie a small pendant for a birthday present and she asked me if I could see what it was despite its tinyness. I had to look for a minute before I saw that it was the planet Saturn. I think that the smallness of the gift was a small disappointment for Goldie.
            It didn’t take long for Cad to start onto one of his favourite topics of conversation, that being naming which ethnic groups dislike Jews. He said that his rabbi, who he says looks like Tony Soprano with a beard, informed him that Scandinavians hate Jews now. I think that Cad has a nutjob for a rabbi.
            Nicki had brought a portable sound system to create a pre-poetry atmosphere. She played some Brazilian hip-hop and Cad told me he didn’t like it because it sounded too left wing. He added that communists don’t like women. I pointed out to him that I’ve looked at his favourite book list on Facebook and a good number of the authors he likes are left wing. There’s a good chance, I told him, that Arthur Miller, for example, was a communist. Cad protested that, arguing that he couldn’t have been communist because he’d been married to Marilyn Monroe. Then he said dismissively that communism in the Fifties was different.
            Cad said that his rabbi told him that he’s one of the most intelligent people he’s ever met. His rabbi, who is from Cincinnati, is also, like Cad, a bug fan of Donald Trump. This of course led to Cad’s favourite topic of all, which is the romantic notion that Muslim immigration will destroy all the left wing countries that let the refugees in.
            Cad showed me a picture of the latest collage he’s been working on, which is on the subject of the Jewish mafia. Cad’s collages tend to be just a jumble of photographs that follow a nostalgic theme but there tends not to be any kind of aesthetic flow to the pieces. One of the images is a photograph of Bugsy Siegel, who Cad proudly informed me killed more people than did any Italian gangsters. Fortunately, at that point, at 18:35, Nicki stepped up to the microphone to kick off the evening.
            She introduced herself as the hostess with the mostest and introduced Susie Berg as the “curator with the …” and invited us to find a rhyme for that. I could only think of “roller skater” at the time, but maybe “the curator with none greater” works as well as “hostess with the mostest”.
She pointed out to us the fact that above centre stage is a designed depression in the ceiling about a meter and a half square and about a meter higher than the rest of the ceiling, which serves as a great echo chamber. She concluded then that if we want to go a cappella we can go outside. Then she paused and told us that it’s going to be a long night if we don’t laugh when we’re supposed to. Then she repeated, “If you want to go a cappella you can go outside!” and people laughed. I didn’t get it.
Nicki then started gathering volunteers to read the poems by other authors that the featured readers put into the hat. I got the feeling that Goldie might enjoy reading one and so I asked her and she put up her hand to Nicki.
Nicki invited me to perform on the open stage first but asked me to take a little time, adding “not too much”, to say a few words about Paul Valliere.
I took the stage and reminded everyone that Paul had been coming to Plastiscene almost every month for at least the last couple of years and performed on the open stage every time he came. I said that his approach to writing was kind of a shotgun method whereby he’d just write poem after poem and considered each one finished in its first draft. I told them that he was an annoyingly positive person who was a good father to some people who turned out to be good young adults. I added that I don’t really get it when people say things like, “I’m sorry for your loss”. When a friend dies, especially if they’re a writer, you don’t lose anything because it gives you the rest of your life to catch up with them. I finished by saying, “If you didn’t know him, I’m sorry for YOUR loss”.
What I didn’t say, because Nicki had stressed, “Not too much time” was that on the day before Paul died, I spoke to him on the phone and he told me about what a disappointing time he’d had the last time he went to Plastiscene. I wasn’t there, but Nicki had apparently open stagers that night to only read one poem. There’s usually a three-minute time limit and Paul had told Nicki that the two poems he’d brought were way under that time. He told me that Nicki had been testy with him when she acquiesced, saying, “Make it quick!”
I also didn’t mention that when the October Plastiscene was approaching, Paul had emailed me excitedly to give me the news that Michael Fraser was taking over Plastiscene again. He’d misunderstood at first the email promoting Michael’s feature that night.
When I spoke to Paul that last time he told me that he wasn’t interested in going to Plastiscene again unless I was going, so we agreed we’d see each other there in December.
For my open stage set, I read an excerpt from my non-fiction short story, “Death by Alcatraz”- “One night three days later, Stadig removed his mattress and pushed the bed to block the door of his cell. From the springs of his bed he twisted off a ten-centimetre piece of wire and tried to use it to slash his wrists. When this didn’t work he broke one of the lenses from his eyeglasses and used the biggest piece to slash his left wrist in two places. Blood began to flow but not quickly enough, so he drove the broken lens deep into the muscles of his throat, successfully slicing and severing his jugular vein.
When the guards managed to force their way through the blocked door they found prisoner number 49536 in extreme shock, and minutes later he was dead. Hands that had invented so many things in his cousin’s workshop back in St. Francis, Maine had finally invented a way to die. The escape artist had finally cut himself free of both Alcatraz and Leavenworth in a few days. It may have appeared that he’d taken his own life in Leavenworth, but John Stadig was without a doubt murdered by Alcatraz.”
            Cad said when I sat down that I should have mentioned that Stadig was my second cousin, but I didn’t see that as relevant.
Next came the first poem from the hat, which was a seasonal piece by Robert Southwell, called “The Burning Babe” – “As I in hoary winter’s night stood shivering in the snow, surpris’d I was with sudden heat which made my heart to glow; and lifting up a fearful eye to view what fire was near, a pretty Babe all burning bright did in the air appear; who, scorched with excessive heat, such floods of tears did shed as though his floods should quench his flames which with his tears were fed. “Alas!” quoth he, “but newly born, in fiery heats I fry, yet none approach to warm their hearts or feel my fire but I! My faultless breast the furnace is, the fuel wounding thorns, love is the fire, and sighs the smoke, the ashes shame and scorns; the fuel Justice layeth on, and Mercy blows the coals, the metal in this furnace wrought are men’s defiled souls, for which, as now on fire I am to work them to their good, so will I melt into a bath to wash them in my blood.” With this he vanish’d out of sight and swiftly shrunk away, and straight I called unto mind that it was Christmas day.”
This was followed by an open stage set from Sophie, who said that she had three poems and wanted to know how many she could read. Nicki looked at them and said, “Either that one or those two.” Sophie started with a poem called “These New Places” that had the phrase, “a soft invasion of letters”. Her second piece was entitled “Leaving Worlds” – “These storms … such a swell of little fish … the moon descends like a great white owl …”
Cad was invited to the open mic next and this was his first time of reading at Plastiscene in years because he has often concluded that people would be offended by his writing. His offering was called “Handbook for Boudoir Pranksters” – “I met her down in Michigan … She was a Spanish-Hungarian … She was always laughing out loud … She wrote a cookbook called ‘Eat My Fuck and Beat My Meat’” Everybody laughed and clapped. Nicki said, “Damn! That was my working title!” Later when I reminded Cad that everyone liked what he read, he argued, “No they didn’t!”
A young man whose name I didn’t catch was the second volunteer to read a poem from the hat, but he snuck in a poem of his own first, called “Pocket Billiards”- “ … the four’s the ball that I adore … its purple shade the handmaid wore …” The poem from the hat, he said, was Robert Service’s “My Picture”, but I think the correct title is “My Madonna” - “I haled me a woman from the street, shameless, but, oh, so fair! I bade her sit in the model’s seat and I painted her sitting there … I painted a halo round her hair, and I sold her and took my fee, and she hangs in the church of Saint Hillaire, where you and all may see.”
            Nickie, responding fondly to the use of rhyme in the poem, wondered why so many poets avoid using rhyme these days. I called out, “Because they don’t have enough talent for it!”
            It was then Goldie’s turn to read her poem from the hat, which was Kate Rogers’s “Your Horse in the Field” – “Like your horse I wait by the fence … I wait wondering if I am broken … As long as I've been running I've been afraid of freedom.”
            After Goldie came Richard, who read a poem for his brother entitled “Brother of Mercy” – “The doors open automatically as I go into the building where my brother lives … upstairs I sit by Victor's bed … his hands tremble … code orange … I can smell the shit in his pants … Mercy? What does mercy mean to these brothers of the church? When I needed mercy my brother gave it freely …Where’s the TV remote, his roommate shouts … My big brother falls asleep. I walk past the manger and cry.”
            The last open stage poet was Margaret Code, who read her own “Temps Perdu”, which mentions the Café on St Clair called “Pain Perdu”. Margaret explained that perdu means “left-over”, but I’ve always understood it as meaning “lost”. When I asked her about it she confirmed that the general meaning for the word is “lost” but that the owner of Pain Perdu told her it meant “left-over”. On looking it up later, I see that “pain perdu” is the name the French sometimes use for what we call French toast. So I would interpret it like this French toast is what we make when the bread is lost or wasted for normal use as bread. Margaret uses perdu in the same sense in relation to time, and I may be wrong but I think that maybe she can’t properly use it that way.
            The final poem from the hat was called “Snow”. I caught that the author’s first name was Orson and the surname sounded like “Shear” – “My father was a drunk … he married my mother the night after he came from Russia … He showed her from her own body the colour of snow.”
            Nicki then told us that the next Plastiscene would be on January 16, 2016 but asked rhetorically, “How is that possible?” Then she called a break.
            Cad’s ex-wife and our long-time acquaintance, Anna arrived. 
Near the end of the break I went to chat with Albert Moritz and Allan Briesmaster but our conversation was cut off when Nicki began to introduce the first featured reader.
James Wood began with “Tool Box”, which I’d heard him read the last time he featured at Plastiscene in August of 2014. The poem is about the toolbox that he inherited from his father and how it keeps them connected. He concludes by describing his son also using the toolbox and how when he inherits it, it will keep him connected to his grandfather – “ … He lives on, spirit level with my son …”
James’s second poem was entitled “Odysseus’s Return to Ithaca” – “Oh Penelope, the arch we trace is halcyon …”
James then told us that he believes that poetry readings should be like talent night at the Apollo: three songs and you’re off!
His third piece was one I’d also heard him do before, called “Vinyl Nights”. In it he extols the pleasures of listening to music on vinyl, as opposed to any of the post record album technologies. He declares that it is “real music” and even praises the romance of the crackling and popping sounds the needle makes as it lightly trips over dust and scratches. Near the end he says, “Take your smart phone and drop it!” in response to which Anna shouted out “Yes!”
I must say that while I find the sentiment over the sound of record albums to be as charming as that over any love of antiques, the argument that the sound is superior to digital recordings is highly debateable. To a trained ear there may be a discernibly warmer sound to vinyl but that doesn’t necessarily make it better. I’ve also read that on records, the way that the grooves spiral outwards stretches out the sound of the recording as it approaches the end. I would argue that most people probably couldn’t pass a blind listening test that compares digital sound to analog.
James’s fourth offering was a poem about his native Scotland – “ … this is a thistle crowned nation … see the tyrants hands set farms alight … guns and dogs stripped this place of men … nothing left but seaweed and stone … far from hatred forged by coin or cross …”
His final composition was called “Departures” – “Then one time point your car towards the shore to where the ocean grey swells skyward … each journey ends in remembering how we excuse our failures …”
James Wood is a formally good writer in that he knows how to put words together. His poems that convey more personal sentiments tend to hold together better than the more contrived pieces, which tend to be just long-winded life support for one killer poetic punch line.
Perhaps because James did a shorter set than was offered, Nicki read another of his poems. I thought she said the title was “Plug” but judging from the poem it might have been “Plum” – “ …Its sweetness deepened all summer long … I reached up … I wiped the juice from my mouth … and kept eating the fruit until September had gone.”
At this point Nicki called another break.
Anna ordered some food and offered to buy Goldie a drink. As she prefers mixed drinks to wine or beer, she said she would like to have a pina colada, but they don’t make them there. It took her some time to decide what to order instead. She settled on something called Prim. When I looked up their menu later though I saw that what she’d gotten was Pimm’s.
Cad told me that he has accessed the akashic records and found out that he was a slave master in his past life that enjoyed his work immensely.
Before introducing the second feature reader, Donna Langevin, Nicki read Donna’s “The Stone Angel” – “ …the stone angel moved … softly, sorrow trailed behind her.”
When Donna came to the stage she said that it’s every writer’s dream to have Nicki Ward read one of their poems.
Donna said that she was going to follow the traditional pattern of bridal gift giving and read something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.
She started with “The Best Way to Eat a Snowflake” – “Say grace, taste your way round and around its divine pattern …”
She told us that the next piece represented “something new”. It had the line; “There are many holes in snowflakes …”
Her next was “Arachne” – “The snowflake on my window challenged me.”
At this point the batteries on the microphone started dying and so Nicki came and took it, but urged Donna to continue without it.
She said she would read some pieces on the theme of risk taking, and told us that the first, “The Hand”, was for Charles G. Stephens – “I am the hand reaching out of a barrel … the hand of the demon barber from Bristol … the hand that fishes the sky … the drowning hands so desperate they will grasp you and pull you under …”
When she was done with that piece Donna commented that she loved having no microphone. “I can move!” she exclaimed.
Then she asked, “What would you sacrifice to get your work published?” George A. Stathakis went over Niagara Falls in a barrel in hopes that the revenue he gained would help him publish his writing on metaphysical experiences – “ … Your hand, a brave flower, stems from the hole in the barrel and waves ... You are extracted still-born.”
Continuing with the theme, Donna then did a poem about a woman who chose to live dangerously. This was about Dinah Nuthead, who, after her husband died, fought for and won the right to take over her husband’s printing business, thus becoming the first licensed female printer in the thirteen colonies that later became the United States of America – “ …why must a woman who teaches herself to read be accused of witchery?” I couldn’t find any reference to Nuthead being accused of witchery but Donna must have dug a lot deeper than I did. Chances are though, there was just an accusation and no trial.
Around this time there was a lot of loud stomping coming from outside the room as people were climbing the stairs and talking loudly as they came up to perhaps watch the hockey game in the other second floor bar.
Donna then told us that she was now going to begin the “borrowed” section of her set – “ … Take me to the Mardi Gras … wear a penis on your nose … laugh at the grim reaper … before it's too damn late.”
Next came a poem called “Dandy” – “ … clouds … disappear like people we once knew … after bearding the moon … eclipsed in flying sun shot days.”
From Donna’s final poem - “Dear Madonna in blue, I entreat you to open your cerulean cave … guide his soul to a harbour leave his cargo of shadows… Ho ho ho ho Santa … a star zings and zaps the heavens ... she growls and grunts for hours … she nurses him and whispers … while outside this world bumps off virgins, as babies die in the dark …”
There is a sense of play and innocence to Donna Langevin’s poetry that lightly turns even the darker subject matter over and examines it with a childlike curiosity, describing it playfully but without making fun. As is often the case with poets though, she loses touch with her muse when she tries to write about things that she has to research, like historical figures, no matter how interesting they are.
By this time the noise on the other side had gotten a lot louder. Nicki made reference to our contending with “the natives to the north of us” before introducing Ian Keteku. She asked Ian for some help with the pronunciation and he said to say it as though there is peanut butter on the roof of your mouth.
Around then the waiter come up on the stage and started gathering up some cables that were being stored on stage left. Nicki seemed a bit annoyed and told Ian that she wouldn’t invite him to the stage until he had it to himself.
Around this time a young woman with blonde hair and a sparkly tan sweater and came up to Nicki and introduced herself as the bartender who’d just come on duty for the second floor. Although I couldn’t hear the conversation, she seemed to be asking when we were going to be wrapping things up because she had a group coming in to use the space. Despite that, Nicki told Ian to take his full, allotted time without worries.
Ian Keteku unhooked the microphone, moved the stand out of the way and began without introducing his first piece – “If I leave this planet before you, if my last breath retires without pension … less phobia and more magnolia … dried limestone forged from the alchemy of plankton … scrawl my name and tell them this is how you write what you love.”
Ian told us that Calgary is a weird place to be from and that its fucked up philosophy of life produces many stories – “ … June 4, 2014, I found out through YouTube … I never thought you would be the bomb … when you demoted god from an idea … idolized to adolescence … disappointment into this appointment … nothing nice will be said about you … pounding like the wings of an anxious … Islam is a religion of peace, god doesn't negotiate with terrorists.”
His next piece was called “Kay”– “Her father was a soldier with the USSR army …  when they held her she was reminded of the Moscow ballet … she visited men in the trenches … stealing United Nations food provisions …. Kalashnikov …”
Ian said that what he hears most when he tells people he’s a poet is, “So you’re a poet? How do you make a living?” and “Where’s your love poems at?”
So he wrote “Laptop Love” – “I wanna open you up, and turn you on, push all the right buttons to get you going … I’m caressing your backspace …  but sometimes you freeze … You see you’re getting old Ms. Vista, I miss the old Ms. Vista … you used to stay up all night when I had a paper due … and my friends would come over and say, Hey, Ian, yo...buddy, you’re computer really sucks man (Ian paused to tell us that everyone in Calgary talks like that) … What? No, no, no, Mac? Mac… is just a girl I do video editing on … ok baby, lemme tell you the truth, I do video editing on her, but I do poetry on you, you know, I mean, I’m sorry I cheated on you … I’m sorry I dropped you on the ground, I’m sorry I banged you around, I’m sorry I spilt hot chocolate on you even though you don’t drink … I tried to enter my home, but your keys were stuck (He paused again because he either didn’t think or he was pretending that he didn’t think that we got it. He explained, “What I did was a double entendre … It took me four years to write that line!” So he repeated it and got the reaction he wanted.) … But you haven’t been that great to me either, you see you, shut down whenever you want to, you fall asleep too often, you pause too much, you should get an a-pause-trophe, and I know you don’t want me to talk about it but you've got those viruses, I don’t care who, what where happened, I’m just saying I’m glad Norton was able to help us out, y’know? Remember the days, when I wanted to … put my USB in your hard drive … So, wherever you are I hope you sleep well, Ms Vista. I hope he treats you right, Ms Vista, and if you ever plan on coming back to me, come back as the old Ms.Vista …”
Before he began his final piece, Ian said that Nicki Ward is one of the greatest hosts he had ever seen.
“ … No matter the method all my words still come out dark … Jesus still painted his nails red … were all once the size of a period … now only happens once in a lifetime.”
Ian Keteku is a great spoken word artist and his poetry has good rhythm and some clever plays on words. Writing about things as people is something that a lot of poets do as part of early experimentation, whether they are speaking of their car or their guitar or whatever, but it seems a bit much to read two long pieces about anthropomorphized objects. Many of his choices of things to write about follow the slam subject formula. As I’ve said before, writing about oneself brings one closer to one’s muse, but Ian only writes about himself from a distance. A lot of the phrases Ian uses have been said before and while he dances well with the rhythm of words he doesn’t find new ways to dance with the language itself. In that sense, he is really not a very good poet.
Nicki closed off with her usual quotes about poets being the unofficial legislators of the world. She added that it’s only OCD if you don’t have talent.
Around this time a group flooded in while we were getting ready to leave. They set themselves up at the back tables. Banoo Zan was sitting at a table halfway back, then the sparkly sweatered bartender approached her and I think she asked her to leave. One of the new group in the back who was standing, began to sing something a cappella and the rest of them began to accompany her in perfect harmony. It was some sort of Christmas song, I think. I assume then that this was some sort of private Christmas party of a glee club or choir. They sounded nice, but it was annoying for us to get the bum’s rush like that. I suspect though that it will happen a lot more if Plastiscene stays at the Victory Café.
I headed off to buy Goldie a birthday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment