Thursday 10 August 2017

Buzzy Bugs Taste Like Lobster to Birds



            On Tuesday morning when I tried to use tunerr.com to tune my guitar it didn’t work. I accessed the site and the digital image of the guitar tuner was on the screen but it showed no notes at all. Fortunately it wasn’t a very humid day, so once I did get my guitar manually in tune it stayed there for most of my song practice.
            The soy cheese slices I got from the food bank taste like horse sweat.
            I took a bike ride in the late afternoon. Cruising up Squires Avenue, just north of St Clair and about halfway between O’Connor and Victoria Park, from behind me a sparrow was flying erratically and low to the ground. At the same time an angry buzzing sound was coming from its beak. At first I thought its behaviour was directed at me because perhaps I’d ridden past its nest. But then I saw that there was a fat bug in the bird’s beak and the buzzing was being made by the wings of the insect as it desperately tried to escape. I’ll bet big fat buzzy bugs taste like lobster to a sparrow.
            I rode up to Tiago, turned right and went back down Glenburn, where two teenagers, talking in Russian, were walking their bikes up the middle of the road. As I was looking at them the one closest to me looked back, said something in Russian and shoved his bike slightly in my direction. What a putz!
            I’d had a mild ache in my chest since getting up that morning. It didn’t get any worse when my heart rate went up and it actually disappeared during my bike ride.
            I stopped at the first Starbucks on Danforth and a very perky young employee greeted me as I came in. I told him I just needed to use the washroom and he asked if I knew the password. I told him I did.
            I had to pass a very long line of westbound cyclists on my way home on College Street.
            When I was about to hang my bike up, my upstairs neighbour, David came in. I didn’t have to remind him that he still had my pilsner glass. He brought it up and told me he’d bring it back, though he didn’t bring it that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment