Saturday 5 August 2017

Ten Days, Same Time, Different Light



            I recorded another song practice on Friday. I might have gotten a take or two that didn’t turn out too bad. I had to restart some songs a few times, but I couldn’t spend all my time on one song because I want to keep things natural. If I was in a recording studio I might have to do a song over and over until I get it right but I just need some songs that aren’t played horribly rather than songs that are played perfectly.
            I made coffee but the milk I used turned out to be sour, so I poured it through sieve to screen out the curdles and then put some fresh milk in.
            I went online to defer my student fees but got a worrying message that my access to my financial account was denied. I called up the office though and found that everyone is getting the same message because of the volume of students currently using the website. About an hour later I tried and was able to defer my fees.
            I looked through all of my videos of me singing “Le Poinconneur des Lilas” or my translation “The Ticket Puncher at Lilas Station”. There are two English versions that aren’t bad: one is from July 23rd when I only hit the B chord slightly wrong once, and the other was from this morning, when I hit it wrong at first but slid my hand into place on the same strum. On August 3rd I got through a French version without any chord mistakes but I paused for a second because I’d forgotten the lyric. I decided that the video from July 23rd would be the one I’d groom for uploading, plus it’s followed by one of my songs that turned out pretty good as well. The separate voice recording has some popping on the “P”s though, so I’ll have to see if it blends with the camera audio or if I’ll just go with what the camera’s mic recorded.
            One very interesting thing from looking at the videos one after the other is just how different the light is at the same time on different days.
            It rained heavily in the afternoon, so I didn’t take a bike ride. I finished a second draft of a story, I posted an ad on Kijiji for some of my upstairs neighbour’s china, I worked on my book cover and I did some translations.
            I watched an episode of Maverick from the second season that guest starred Roger Moore, though not as the Maverick cousin, Beau, who would later replace James Garner in the fourth season. It was kind of a Prince and the Pauper story in which Moore played a rich man named Vandergeld who hired Maverick to switch identities with him because he wanted to win the heart of a certain young lady on his own merit. At first Maverick said, “You can count me out!” until Vandergeld said, “How about if I count you out a thousand dollars a week?”

No comments:

Post a Comment