Wednesday 23 August 2017

The Ticket Puncher at Lilas Station



            On Tuesday I published the video of “The Ticket Puncher at Lilas Station”, which is my translation of Serge Gainsbourg’s 1958 song, “Le Poinçonneur des Lilas”. I was fairly happy with how the recording of my angry folk version of the song turned out. Stylistically it’s very different from any adaptations of the original song that I’ve heard. There’s some power in my delivery and it also makes me feel like I’m not such a bad singer after all. Also there was no distortion in the sound of my vocal like there was in the song that I uploaded a couple of months ago.
            In the early afternoon I started uploading the song to YouTube. Not a bad use of a rainy day. I took a siesta when it was at 31% and when I got up an hour and a half later it was at 59%. It was finished in a little over three hours. The sound on the YouTube video was fine but my face seemed a bit out of focus compared to the video I’d made.



            I didn’t take a bike ride that afternoon because there was supposed to be a strong chance of rain. It did rain a bit around here around the time that I would have been across town, but not much. It might have poured somewhere along my route though.
            I started editing another video, my own song, “Insisting on Angels”. It’s part of the same recording session so I didn’t have to synchronize it.  I just started by cutting out the parts before it and also the false takes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment