Sunday 27 August 2017

The Cats Are Gone and the Mice Are Back



On Saturday, as usual on most days, I had lunch in the early afternoon. Even though I didn’t eat any less than usual I still felt hungry afterwards. I wonder if the cooler weather makes me feel like eating more.
I took my bike ride in the early afternoon, but discovered that Bloor was blocked off at Dufferin for the Bloorcourt Festival. I went south and turned left on the north edge of Dufferin Grove Park. I went back up to Bloor on Havelock, hoping that the festival didn’t stretch that far, but it did. I walked a block and then I went south again and followed the alley south of Bloor all the way to Montrose, where the way was clear again. I remembered as I was riding that I went through almost the exact same thing last year.
There were more delays after St. George, since the subway wasn’t running from there to Broadview and so there were lines of buses as long as a subway train that I had to get around.
On the Bloor Viaduct I’d gotten ahead of everybody else but there was this one guy that moved over to the left when I told him I was going to pass him. Meanwhile the guy that I’d just passed came up on my right. I called out a few times for the guy ahead of me to move to his right. Finally he understood, said “sorry” and shifted over.
            It usually takes me about 42 minutes to get out to Dawes Road and Danforth but this time it took an hour. I stopped at a Country Style donut shop to use the washroom. The floor was all wet and someone had written above the toilet: “I need to be cleaned”.
I noticed at the corner of Sibley and Danforth that the Max the Mutt school of animation is there now. I never posed there but I used to work for the owner when she taught at Sheridan College and later I modeled at her private studio. I’ve heard she doesn’t allow students to wear hats in class.
I just explored the alley behind Danforth from Sibley to Victoria Park and then I headed home.
When I was making dinner a mouse came dashing past my feet and under the radiator at the east side of my apartment. It’s been about a year since my cats were all gone and so I haven’t seen mice successfully living in my place since 1997. 

No comments:

Post a Comment