Tuesday 1 August 2017

Making it to the End of a Song



            A song is a very long and complex structure and it’s very hard for even its builder to not get lost while walking through it.
            I recorded my French song practice on Friday morning. I think that at least one of them came through okay but it’s amazing how many things can go wrong while singing and playing a three-minute song. At one point, after managing to get through most of one piece without a flaw, I suddenly forgot what the next chord was, even though I’d played it on the previous verses.
            I spent a lot of time on my review of Tuesday night’s Shab-e She’r.  I think I got it done sooner last month but it must have rained, thus giving me more time because I wouldn’t have taken a bike ride like I’d done every day since Tuesday.
            The wind was blowing against me as I pedaled east on Bloor. The smell of curry from the Indian restaurant on the edge of Christie Park was overwhelming. After Yonge Street a guy shot past me in a fluorescent green cycling suit. Just before he got to Sherbourne the light turned red but maybe he couldn’t stop because he just kept on going, weaving around cars o the sound of angry horns. I rode up to O’Connor and St Clair, then went east to Cedarcrest, which had been recently milled and so it was very rough and full of elevated ridges. It’s not an enjoyable riding surface so I went very slowly. I took Ferris east to Dawes Road and headed south to Danforth.
            I was stopped at a light and suddenly noticed that I was breathing cigarette smoke even though there were no smokers nearby. There was a guy talking on his cell phone and smoking a few meters away but it seemed too far to be that strong. I finally noticed that someone had left a half-smoked fag burning on top of the box on the pole to my right that housed the pedestrian crossing button.
            My social assistance payment had been deposited so I stopped at the bank to take out $35 and on the way home I went to Freshco. I hadn’t eaten any fruit since the last weekend, so I bought blueberries, bananas, grapefruit and grapes. I did a price match on the grapes but it probably wasn’t worth the hassle since the difference was only two cents. I got three chicken legs for $5 and also picked up yogourt and toilet paper.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment