Thursday 4 January 2018

Getting Lit Up On New Years Eve



            On Sunday morning at about 7:00, I was looking out my window while singing and playing guitar, when a small white station wagon stopped at the light. On top of it was tied a Christmas tree, probably less than two meters long. It was odd enough to see a Christmas tree tied to a roof on the morning of New Years Eve, but the tree was strung with lights and what made me grin was that the lights were lit up. I had my camera nearby but the light changed before I had a chance to reach for it.
            I checked online for my marks and found that I got a B on Early Medieval Philosophy. That’s my third best Philosophy grade out of five courses, and not bad for a course that I didn’t really like that much.
            I finally got caught up on my journal and so I was able to spend some time doing some reading and some translations of stories.
            So, looking at 2017, aside from my dental issues it wasn’t a bad year. Early in January I’d had to suffer the embarrassment of losing a front tooth and waiting for a denture that turned out to be loose. But I did get another denture that fit, so I could sing in public without it falling out.
            My bike of twenty years died when the seat post broke and was fused inside the frame. But that led to the highlight of the year when I set about building my own bicycle at Bike Pirates out of a frame I bought from Parts Unknown.
I finished my favourite course so far at U of T with George Elliot Clarke teaching Canadian Poetry.
In the summer I lost some weight and was 7.5 kilos lighter than the year before at the time of my annual check-up. It feels like I gained it back before the end of the year but I always gain weight in the winter.
All in all I think it was a pretty good and interesting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment