Thursday 18 January 2018

Time Loop



            It was very hot in my apartment on Tuesday morning but fully opening both of my living room windows almost made it tolerable.
            I worked on my journal and I also spent some time tracking down poems by Sylvia Plath. I had them on PDF but it wasn’t the kind of PDF one can copy. I have software for transferring image to text but it was too much of a hassle to use it for a few poems.
            I watched an episode of Star Trek Discovery with the inevitable time loop story. I think that every Star Trek show starting with the Next Generation has had one script about multiple recurrence. I thought that the first time it happened in a show was on the X-Files in the story “Monday” in 1999 but that’s only the first one I’d seen. It was first done in a Japanese movie called “Beautiful Dreamer” in 1984 but in western films it happened in “12:01” in 1990. Star Trek first did it in 1992 with the story, “Cause and Effect”. Fringe, a show that started off as an X-Files rip off but was better than the X-Files, also did it in 2011 with “And Those We’ve Left Behind”.
            This particular episode of Discovery wasn’t that interesting. It seemed a bit gratuitous, like in shows in which the star meets his or her double but they have an opposite personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment