Saturday 6 January 2018

Leather Cocoon



            I woke up feeling like my body was cocooned in a sheath of old, dry leather.
            I took one siesta in the late morning and another in the afternoon.
            In the early afternoon I tried to call Parkdale Legal to find out if they were open but the message that I got from Freedom Mobile reminded me that I hadn’t yet paid for my January phone plan. It totally slipped my mind and I haven’t even stepped out onto the street since the Saturday before New Years. So I got dressed and walked over there to pay for my plan. It’s nice that the office is less than two blocks away. On the way back I went into the liquor store to get a can of Creemore. I called Parkdale Legal and the message said they were only open for emergencies until Thursday. So far Raja hasn’t come for the rent and I suspect he won’t come until the weekend when he and his wife come by to do their weekly superintendent duties, such as taking out the garbage and mopping the halls.
            I worked on my book cover, a story and some translations.
            In Doctor Who the invasion began by the aliens they called “the Monks”. But the invasion was unique because they just landed their pyramid and waited. The Doctor’s emergency designation of President of Earth was reinstated. When he and the three commanders of the planet’s most powerful armies went to talk with the Monks they were told that the Earth would not only surrender without a fight but they would surrender in exchange for their help and they would surrender with love. The Monks had arrived at this particular time because the countless simulations they had run indicated that something was about to happen that would bring about the extinction of all life on Earth unless someone in power asked, with love, for the Monks to intervene. The Doctor figured out that what was going to happen had to be some kind of bio-disaster. The three commanders of the world’s most powerful armies went to the Monks to surrender and ask for help, but since they did it out of fear and not love, they were destroyed. Meanwhile, the Doctor narrowed it down to 450 labs but he found out which one by tricking the Monks. He arranged for the video cameras to be simultaneously shut in all of the labs. The cameras of only one lab were overridden and brought back online. The Doctor went to that lab and found that a bacteria had been accidentally created that could dissolve any living thing in seconds. The Doctor found that all he had to do was blow up the lab to kill the germs, but once he’d set the detonation timer he realized that the lab was on lockdown. A technician on the outside gave him the code to punch on the keyboard in order to open the door, but the Doctor could not do it because he was still blind. He called Bill to say goodbye because he was about to die. Bill went to the Monks and asked them for help. Since she was a representative of the president of Earth and since she asked for help out of love, the link was made; the Monks saved the Doctor and therefore the world and took control of it.
            What I don’t get is why, when the Doctor called Bill, he didn’t just give her a visual of the keyboard with his phone and have her act as his eyes to guide him through putting in the codes. I assume the writers overlooked the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment