Saturday 20 January 2018

Parallel Universe



            On Friday morning I was typing out my hand written ideas for my essay on Sexuality in The Wasteland and Howl, but by 9:30 I got so sleepy that I had to take a siesta. I got up at 11:00.
I just spent the day inside. I finished typing my notes in the afternoon, editing and adding thoughts as I went along. I’ve got a little less than a page and a half of ideas to expand and organize into a six to eight page essay.
When I was washing dishes I broke my French press, but fortunately I had a back-up that’s been sitting on the shelf since I found it a couple of years ago. Maybe when I start riding my bike long distances in the summer I’ll find another one, so I’ll have another back-up. The one I’ve been saving is much nicer, kind of art deco model anyway.
In the evening I lay down again and almost immediately had a dream about my late cat, Jonquil, which died in the fall of 2016. She was my least favourite cat because she was so noisy and nervous. I was lying in the same position in the dream as I was in bed except that I was more elevated. Jonquil wanted to jump up to where I was but I was trying to keep her away. She managed to make it up but when I tried to grab her she put a claw against my forehead. It wasn’t digging in but I knew it would if I got hold of her the wrong way. I tried various grips including gripping her head in my hand until I finally got her to let go and I woke up. I vaguely recall that I recently had another dream about that stupid cat but I don’t remember it.
I watched the winter premier of Star Trek Discovery. Because Lieutenant Stamets went into shock in the middle of a jump, the Discovery has ended up in a parallel universe where there is no Federation but rather a ruthless Terran Empire. From the data they uncovered in a ship’s wreckage they found that there are nasty versions of everyone they know here, but the versions of themselves and Discovery probably traded places with them and are now in their universe. I probably shouldn’t give away any more, but it’s certainly getting interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment