Saturday 6 January 2018

Goodbye to my Favourite Beer Glass



            Early Thursday afternoon I rode down to Parkdale Community Legal Services to make sure that my rent increase notice was legal. The receptionist said that I should come back on Monday because all of their law students were brand new and so they were only able to deal with emergencies. I told her that needing to pay my rent and not knowing how much I should pay seemed like an emergency to me. She asked me to take a seat but she repeated that she was doubtful if I could see someone.
            I sat down in the waiting area and five minutes later an attractive young woman of East Indian descent called my name. We went to a little boardroom and she took down my information. When I told her my landlord’s name is Rajah Namasivayam she rolled her eyes a bit and told me she recognized the name. I immediately knew the source of her familiarity because I know that my upstairs neighbour, Caesar is constantly trying to take Raja to court because of various issues, like lack of proper building maintenance. She pulled out a calculator to check my rent increase and confirmed it was on the up and up. I was hoping for some mistake in the wording of the document that would delay the increase but she said everything was in order. So now, for the first time in 20 years, my rent has finally crossed up into the 600s to $608.75.
            I rode to the Bank of Montreal on Queen between Bathurst and Spadina get my rent money and some extra cash. I was really wishing en route that I’d put on a pair of sweats under my pants. It was biting cold, but after a while I felt it more on my ears under my hood than on my legs. On the way back I stopped at Freshco where I bought grapefruit, blackberries, a small bag of cherries, a boneless pork loin rib roast, a can of fruit salad and a few other of my usual purchases. When I got home though, I realized that I’d forgotten to buy garbage bags, which had been my main reason for going to the supermarket, because my last bag was full. I had no choice then but to head back out into the blistering cold to get some garbage bags. I figured that since I’d already been to Freshco that I might as well get my bags at No Frills and that way I could see if they had anything interesting to buy. It turned out that they had blueberries and strawberries on sale, so I got some of those and I even remembered to buy garbage bags. When I got home though I realized that I also needed paper towels and detergent, but I wasn’t going to go out again. I’d get by without those until Saturday.
            Shortly after getting back home I got a message from Nick Cushing asking if I was home yet. I told him I was, so about an hour or less later he arrived, with a couple of cans of Waterloo Indian Pale Ale and the gift of one the little tiki heads that he’s been making to sell. I gave him a bag of five extra spicy pepperoni sticks from the sausage King at St Lawrence Market.
            We were about to sit down at my kitchen table that is missing a leg at the south east corner where I keep it propped up against the wall to keep it from falling. The leg had broken before a few years ago and I’d managed to fix it but a year or so ago it was starting to get wobbly and was on the verge of breaking again when Nick turned out to be the one to do it. On a couple of occasions since then Nick has accidentally knocked the broken table over and so the last time he was here he deliberately sat at the non-broken end so as to avoid any furniture flippages caused by feet and knees that aren’t used to the lay of the land bumping it and knocking it over. I suggested to Nick that he sit at the sturdy end this time, but he insisted that he was familiar enough with the hazard now so as to not make any wrong moves. I shrugged and said “Okay.” I poured my beer into my favourite drinking glass, which I’ve had for at least ten years.
            Nick was chastising me for having used the term “trailer trash” on social media. He said that he knows lots of people that would find it offensive. I defended myself by arguing that it’s just an expression. It doesn’t mean that all people that live in trailers are trash or even that all trailer trash live in trailers. It’s a way of talking about the type of uneducated poor people that have no logical reason to vote for someone like Donald Trump and yet do so anyway, perhaps because he’s both dumb and rich at the same time and it gives them a sense that if he can do it they can and that by liking him some impossible wealth-making dumb magic will rub off. Maybe calling them “trash” is a little harsh. How about “trailer victims” or “trailer ghettoites”? Anyway, the word “trash” exists as a qualifier. It doesn’t mean that everyone that lives in trailers are ignorant assholes. It just means that the ignorant assholes that live in trailers are a particularly repugnant culture that makes the other trailer residents look bad.
            Nick also seems to have more admiration for Donald Trump than smart people tend to have. He thinks Trump has actually accomplished things since he’s been in office.  He cited the ending of chain migration to make US immigration more like the merit based system we have in Canada. There’s something to be said for both, but economic immigration may attract opportunistic people that would be inclined to emigrate for a better offer. I think chain migration is a big part of US heritage and also Canadian. It has created places like Chinatown, Little India, Little Italy and Korea Town. The only danger is when it creates ghettos, but it’s not as if there is any more crime resulting from recent immigration. Past immigration to ghettoes created gangs and organized crime in every ethnic group from the Irish to every other ethnic group that was ghettoized. But chain migration also tends to inspire patriotism; because when one brings one’s family to a country it creates a sense of home there. It has existed for so long that it is suspicious that some people suddenly want to trash it just at a time when a lot of brown non-Christians want to benefit from it.
            Nick asked me for the skinny self-powered microphone that he’d leant me last year, so I found it for him. He was trying to open it up but was having trouble and wanted to see if I had a better pair of eyes. I got up and took it into the bathroom where the light is brighter and was looking at it there when Nick decided to join me. When he got up there was a big crash because he’d once again turned over my table, spilling our beer (some of which spilled onto his toque) and breaking my favourite drinking glass. Nick felt very guilty about it and wanted to replace the tumbler. I didn’t argue against it because I really liked that glass. He said he had an account with Amazon and so I said I would look into it.
            I never even knew what the official name was of the type of glass I’d had, but after Nick left I managed to track something down that seemed like it must be it. It was a 518 ml Duralex Picardie tumbler. It was developed for the rough and tumble world of French bistros. Certainly mine had fallen several times over the last few years and had never broken.
            I sent the info to Nick and he ordered it right away.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment