Saturday 29 January 2022

January 29, 1992: The cops told me that I had no rights and that I had to stop arguing with Nancy


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday night I had an argument on the phone with Nancy about seeing my daughter on Wednesday as she'd promised I could but she hung up on me. When I called back several times all night long, everybody and nobody kept cutting me off. I yelled at her father and he shouted back. 
            On Wednesday when I tried to call Nancy she still wouldn't talk with me. I was astounded and since I got no response on the day when she'd promised I could see my daughter, I went up there. On the way, I kept calling to tell her I was coming and once her mother answered to tell me that Nancy didn't want to talk with me. When I got there her mother opened the door, said, “You can't come in and closed it.” I rang the doorbell continuously until they turned it off and then I knocked on the door without stopping about two hundred times. I sat in the snow in their driveway for about half an hour and then started ringing and knocking again. I paced back and forth in the driveway for a while and then when I began knocking again the cops arrived. They told me I couldn't hang around there if nobody wanted to answer the door. I asked them to negotiate with Nancy for me and they went in while I leaned on the police car. Five minutes or so later one of them came out and talked with me, and I was crying while he told me that I really have no rights and that I had to stop arguing with her. Finally, Nancy came out and agreed to let me take my daughter to the plaza. I took her to the Greek place and she fell asleep on the way there. I sat her on the seat beside me when she woke up and fed her some roast potatoes. We were together for about four hours. When I took her back I told Nancy, “I hate you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment