Thursday 13 January 2022

Peter Bonerz


            On Wednesday morning I worked on editing the chord positions for “Chasseur d'ivoire” (Ivory Hunter) by Serge Gainsbourg which I'd uploaded to Christian's Translations. I should have it published on the blog tomorrow. 
            During song practice, the second peg slot on my leather guitar strap broke and so I had to lower it to the last slot and then shorten the strap by two holes. 
            I weighed 86.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            I had planned on finishing cleaning my metal dish rack before putting the kitchen cleaning project on hold. But this new Global Modernisms course looks like it might be challenging and so I think I'd better focus on that and only do the essential cleaning until April. 
            My mark for Intro to US Literature has been posted and I got an A-. It would have been at least an A if my essay had not been unfairly marked.
            I finished reading “The New Modernist Studies.” It doesn't get interesting until the last paragraph when it mentions the concept of “truthiness” as presented on “The Colbert Report.”
            I weighed 86.3 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five year old cheddar and a glass of raspberry lemonade. 
            It was only about one degree outside and so I didn't have to bundle up for my bike ride. I rode to Bloor and Shaw where there was a police roadblock. A cop cut me off it seemed just to park on the side street. It didn't seem urgent but he had his top flasher on and was just being an asshole. I weighed 85.8 kilos when I got home. 
            I finished reading the second chapter of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and it became clear by this point that the movie "Apocalypse Now" was based on this novella. The character of Kurtz has made himself almost a god to the natives in the deep Congolese jungle just as the character of Kurtz in the movie as played by Marlon Brando has done in Cambodia. 
            I read most of “The New Modernist Studies” again but out loud this time. 
            I had an egg sunny side up, toast, and my last hot Italian sausage with a beer while watching an episode of The Addams Family. In the last three minutes, the audio cut off. I found a version on Daily Motion but that went silent in the same place. But I found another Daily Motion video that had the audio and I was able to finish watching. 
            In this story, Morticia is appalled at the children's literature featuring evil witches, goblins, and giants that Wednesday and Pugsley are being forced to read in school. She decides to correct the situation but she spends so much time in her writing cave that Gomez becomes lonely. When she completes her first book about Cinderella the juvenile delinquent, she hands it to Gomez to send to the publisher, and then she begins her next one. Gomez becomes worried that her book will be a success and then he and the children will hardly ever see her. So he sabotages it and changes the text, making Morticia's good guys who are the witches and such into the bad guys. He thinks that will be the end of it but then a publisher named Boswell visits who wants to publish it. It turns out to be a best seller and gets ordered by all the schools. Morticia is shocked to see that her text has been changed and so Gomez has to confess. She thinks he did it to show her how the publishing industry will only turn out garbage and he lets her believe that was why. 
            Mr Boswell was played by Peter Bonerz in his first television role. He went on to play the eccentric dentist Jerry Robinson for six seasons of The Bob Newhart Show. He co-starred in the movies Medium Cool and Jennifer On My Mind. He later became a successful sitcom director behind 93 episodes of Murphy Brown, 29 episodes of Home Improvement, 22 episodes of E/R, 12 episodes of Friends, and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment