Sunday 2 January 2022

Michael Greyeyes


            On Saturday morning I memorized the chorus of “Chasseur d'ivoire” (Ivory Hunter) by Serge Gainsbourg. I still need to adjust the translation of at least one of the verses but I didn't have time to do it this morning. 
            I weighed 87.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I washed the bottom shelf above my kitchen counter and sink and put all the things back up, with a more organized arrangement. There's lots more room up there now. Next I have to clean the underside of the shelves and the wall below, which is really filthy. All the cups and utensils that hang from hooks in that area have also gotten very dirty. 
            I weighed 86.7 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five year old cheddar and a glass of raspberry lemonade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride. It's amazing how much stuff I've found over the years on Brock Avenue alone. Someone had thrown out wine glasses, coffee mugs and a few other items. I took two hammered copper tumblers from Indigo, a turquoise coffee mug with a handle in the shape of what looks like a nun bending backwards with her hands in the prayer position, a black coffee mug, and three wine glasses, two large and one small. I rode to Bloor and Dovercourt. On my way back on Queen approaching Brock there were more things thrown out. A stack of dinner plates and a green glass goblet. The goblet looked interesting but it had a seam, so I didn't take any of that stuff. I weighed 87.3 kilos when I got home. 
            My kitchen light was flickering and it looked like it would die soon. I'd thought for sure that I'd had extras but it looks like I used them a long time ago. I decided to take the overhead light from the living room so I went to get the ladder that sits on the landing between the second and third floors but it was gone. I knocked on Benji's door and he thought Shankar might have it. I knocked on Shankar's door and he did have it and gave it to me. I transferred the bulb and it was pretty dim but I would be going to No Frills on Sunday and I could get some new ones then. 
            I worked on synchronizing the concert video with the studio audio in the video I'm making for my song “Instructions For Electroshock Therapy” at the point where I sing “shock therapy” before, “We dance some sparks through twisted wires” it may be close enough now. I searched for videos of sparking wires and there seems to be a lot of them. I bookmarked one and I'll look again tomorrow. 
            I backed up some files and copied some downloaded files to my external hard drive, then I deleted those downloads to free up space. 
            I had my last three strips of bacon, an egg, and a toasted slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with a beer while watching the fifth episode of the fourth season of Star Trek Discovery. 
            This story was much more like Star Trek than the touchy-feely stories that have been presented for most of this season. The dark matter anomaly disappears and reappears 4 seconds later thousands of light years away. It is concluded from the way it behaves that it cannot be a natural phenomenon and so it must have been created. A radical scientist named Ruon Tarka is brought onto Discovery to work with Stametz but Stametz is reluctant because Tarka has never consulted him before. However, Tarka soon proves himself to be a genius and Stametz is impressed. They want to create a model of the anomaly on Discovery. 
            Meanwhile Michael learns that the real anomaly is heading in a certain direction and may consume an asteroid belt populated by the Akaali. Discovery goes to evacuate and the leader of the Akaali has arranged for the people to be ready to leave. But Discovery detects six lifeforms that are separated from the rest on another part of the asteroid belt. The leader says they are unimportant because they are prisoners. Michael is determined to not leave anyone behind and so she and Book go in to rescue the convicts. They first have to break through the prison's defenses which are artificial beetles that act as land mines in motion. They disable them and get in. They learn from the prisoners that most have gotten extremely long sentences for tiny crimes. Their leader is Felix and they insist that they will not leave with Michael and Book if they are not granted asylum. Michael agrees but as they are freed Felix says that he is not going because he murdered someone and wants to atone for his crime. Michael reluctantly honours his wish. 
            On Discovery the model of the anomaly requires more and more power. Saru as acting captain allows them to draw power from the phasers but at a certain point shuts the experiment down because it is putting the crew in danger. They don't learn the nature of the anomaly. 
            Kovich has a brief session counseling Culber. Kovich is the first person wearing glasses in all the history of Star Trek. If science fixed bad eyesight in the era of the original Star Trek why would Kovich need glasses 900 years further in the future?
            Felix was played by Michael Greyeyes, who is Cree from Saskatchewan. He is a graduate of Canada's National Ballet School. He is the founding artistic director of Signal Theatre. He played Traylor in “Blood Quantum” (for which he won a Canadian Screen Award), Sitting Bull in “Woman Walks Ahead”, Ralph Drinkwater on “I Know This Much Is True”, Crazy Horse in “Crazy Horse” Tecumseh in “Tecumseh's Vision.” He directed the dance opera “Bearing” and “Two Odysseys: Pimooteewin / Gallabartnit” with librettos in Cree and Sami. He's a big fan of The Clash. He is an associate professor at York University. 
            As I was getting ready for bed I found a bedbug on the top hinge of the old exit door. It had my blood inside but the fact that it was high up suggests it was affected by the killing dust in the lower area. I did a search with a toothpick and pulled what seemed to be a dead one from a little hole in the lower part of the door. I might have to get the landlord to call pest control again but unless they do something about Caesar's place above me it might be pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment