Tuesday 4 January 2022

January 4, 1992: Nancy's mother forgot to call me for an hour and so Nancy had to wait for me that long at the station with a screaming baby


Thirty years ago today

            On Saturday, as usual, when meeting Nancy she had promised that I could see my daughter early. But as usual, we didn't meet until around 16:00. On top of that, she'd left her place before calling me so I could know when to head up to meet them at Warden Station. She had instead entrusted her mother to make the call after she'd dropped them off at the bus. But Apollonia forgot to call me for an hour and so that's how long Nancy had to wait for me at the station with a screaming baby. 
            Nancy said she wanted to shop on Queen Street but I complained that this was supposed to be my day with my daughter. Nancy said that I could take the baby home alone but only after she'd fallen asleep. After she fed her at Queen and Woodbine I took my daughter and waited for the streetcar but then decided to carry her to the next stop. On the way, I passed a second-hand bookstore that had comic books and so I stopped to get a few. A couple of streetcars went by before I could get to the next stop and so I kept walking almost all the way home. The baby woke up just as I got in the door. 
            We had fun together and I changed her. She was still not really crawling yet. Nancy arrived maybe an hour or so later. We watched TV while I fed my daughter some spinach. Nancy had some carrot cake that I'd bought with her in mind because she refused to eat anything I cooked. She was so afraid of cockroaches and imagined them crawling on my utensils. 
            It was late when we left. We caught the streetcar to Woodbine and waited half an hour for the bus before we realized that the last one had already gone. Nancy arranged for us to share a cab to Woodbine Station with two women that were hailing one. I kissed my daughter goodbye before Nancy took her on the bus and then I caught the last train out of Warden Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment