Saturday 21 October 2023

Howard Merrill


            On Friday morning I finished working out the chords for “Le moi et le je” (The Me and the I) by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through the song in French and English. During the latter I made adjustments to my translation. On Saturday I’ll upload it to Christian’s Translations, edit the chord placements and I might even have time to publish it in the blog. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first session of four. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I decided that today would be the day I would glue the Masonite that I bought a couple of weeks ago to the kitchen floor in front of the counter and under the stove. I only needed one tube of the construction glue, which I applied with the new caulking gun. Then I grabbed everything heavy that I could find and put the things on top. The stove was easy since it’s where it’s supposed to be. I used my little metal; filing cabinet, my little wooden cabinet with the broken marble top, my concrete block, all my dumbbells, all my records and one shelf of books. Hopefully that’s enough weight. I have to stand on all that stuff to prepare food. It’s amazing how much stuff gets fumbled and dropped when you grab it from an angle that’s unfamiliar. 
            I checked on the U of T course enrollment site and saw that on the waiting list for the Creative Writing course in January I’ve dropped down to number 5. When I enrolled in July I was number 10. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I chiseled some black quartz from a piece of the rock that I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:30, which is the lightest I’ve been in the evening in sixteen days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:14. 
            I opened my August 11, 2023 Song Practice project in Audacity and listened to “Le temps des yé-yé”. There was no traffic noise picked up by my microphone. I listened to my Sound Recording file of the same date and there was heavy reverb that I’d applied for my song “Megaphor”, so I replaced that file with the current Audacity file. That means I don’t need to choose the August 27 video and audio to synchronize because August 11 won’t have traffic noise if I don’t lean too heavily on the camera microphone recording. 
            I compared my August 14 electric performance of “Time of the Yo-Yo” with August 20. August 14 has much better light and I think I play it better too. I compared August 24 with August 14 and I like August 14 better, mostly because it has much better lighting. There are three more to compare. I should have the winner selected on Saturday and then start comparing the electric performances of “Le temps des yé-yé” that I highlighted. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for my studio recording of “Megaphor” I managed to synchronize the concert video with the studio recording for my line, “an invisible thread…” but then it goes out of synch for the rest of the line, “…spirals endlessly inward to…”. I decided I’ll just cut out the video there and add images of flying gods from various cultures. I found one so far, which is Anteros the winged god of requited love. 
            I had a potato with the last of my gravy and a chicken leg while watching season 1, episodes 30 and 31 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Mr. Haney is suing Oliver for $350. In the flashbacks, after a drought of two and a half months Haney offers Oliver the services of a First Nations rainmaker. An amused Oliver says he’ll give him the money if he makes it rain but when the man does his dance nothing happens. Haney fires him. Meanwhile there is a sunflower growing near the Douglas house and Lisa has named it Rudolph. She says that in Hungary if a sunflower is growing next to your house and you are nice to it you can ask it to make it rain and it will. The rainmaker comes looking for work and Lisa hires him, telling him to find something to do. Oliver catches him washing the car during a drought and he stops him, but suddenly it rains. The judge agrees with Oliver that the whole thing is ridiculous and dismisses the case. 
            The story was co-written by Howard Merrill, who started acting at the age of three and had been in 58 silent films by the age of eleven. He had been on 487 radio broadcasts by the age of 14 and was in the Guinness Book of World Records for these achievements. In his teens he had a syndicated newspaper column called This Minute. He wrote many radio scripts and scripts for early TV programs like “You Are There” and “Newsweek Views the News”. He co-created the game show I’ve Got a Secret which ran from 1952 to 1967. He produced the 1958 Broadway musical “Oh Captain”. He wrote episodes of many popular sitcoms. 


            In the second story Lisa is the chair of the culture committee of the every second Wednesday discussion group. She convinces the ladies that what Hooterville needs is a symphony orchestra. Oliver tries to inform them that a symphony needs at least a hundred musicians but it falls on deaf ears. Lisa calls Sir Jeffrey, who she met during her and Oliver’s honeymoon in Monte Carlo. He had told her that he was in the business of developing orchestras. She asks him to come to “Hootersville” to build a symphony and he assumes from the obscure sounding name that Hootersville is an artists colony. When Sir Jeffrey arrives Oliver tries to warn him that he’s wasting his time. The community drew lots and so Sir Jeffrey will be staying at the Ziffel home in the bedroom of Arnold the Pig. The only musicians in town are the ragtag members of the Hooterville Volunteer Fire Department Band and the only member who can read music is Ralph Monroe the cymbal player. Sir Jeffrey says they will start with Brahms Lullaby. Haney asks who wrote it. But the band plays the only song they know which is a very slow version of “Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight”. He asks Ralph to hum the melody of Brahms Lullabye and she does so and then he tells the band to play it but they repeat “Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight”. Sir Jeffrey begins to cry and leaves town.

No comments:

Post a Comment