Monday 30 October 2023

J. Carrol Naish


            On Sunday morning I worked out the chords for the second verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. 
            I worked out the chords for “L'amour de moy” (The Love of My Life), the 15th Century song from which the melody for “L'amour de moi” by Serge Gainsbourg is taken, except that Gainsbourg only uses the melody for the first and third verses. I ran through singing and playing “L'amour de moi” in French and English. Tomorrow I’ll run through singing “L'amour de moy” in French and then I have to do a translation of verses two to four. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the second session of four. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I sanded the surface of the doors and drawers of my kitchen counter. The next thing I’ll do is buy some paint. 
            I weighed 86.2 kilos before lunch, which is the heaviest I’ve been at midday in ten days. I had Cheezit crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I spent about twenty minutes chiseling black quartz from a piece of the rock that I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos at 17:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:42. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my August 19 song practice I finally managed to synchronize the audio and the video. I was beginning to worry that I’d misdated the audio file. I saved the project as “Le temps des yoyos (electric) and started cutting out the part before that song. I might have that done tomorrow. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song Megaphor I continued to work on reversing part of the clip of the movie Ziegfeld Girl. But the parts that I took off the end to make them go in reverse at the beginning still don’t move because the camera is lingering. I calculated that after cutting eleven more bits off the end it will start to move in reverse. 
            I cleaned and scanned a strip of uncut colour negatives. These are all shots I took of a concert, I think at the Copa in Yorkville in the late 80s. Most of the shots are of a band I don’t recognize but the last frame looks like Gil Scott Heron. So maybe I shot the opening segment of Heron’s show. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 2, episodes 16 and 17 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Sam, Fred and Newt need to find a livestock judge for the county fair. When Oliver walks in they appoint him but he misunderstands and thinks he’s being appointed as a judge in a legal court. He is honoured and accepts the appointment. He decides to go to New York to get some pointers from his old law professor Judge Crandall. While they are there Lisa buys him a robe, a gavel and British style judge’s wig. Meanwhile the original livestock judge tells Sam he never resigned and so Sam has to tell Oliver that his appointment has been changed to apple judge. But Oliver thinks that Lisa must have misunderstood and he assumes that when she says “apple” judge it is supposed to be “appeals” judge. He is disappointed when he finds out the truth but at the county fair he decides to own it. He puts on the robe and the wig before tasting the apples. 
            In the second story Oliver’s mother is suffering from exhaustion. Her doctor recommends two weeks of rest in the country and so Lisa brings her back to Hooterville. But there is lots of noise from the tractor, the phone, and the sound of Alf and Ralph working. Then suddenly a group of Sioux arrive and begin drumming and chanting. Chief Yellow Horse says they have a 99 year lease with the previous owner of the farm to come and do their bear dance ceremony every year. This demonstrates one of the many inconsistencies of this show. The Sioux are a midwestern nation but wherever Hooterville is it doesn’t seem to be in the Midwest since it never snows. Yellowhorse offers Oliver a goat and four pigs for his mother. Finally Oliver gets rid of the Sioux by feeding the chief Lisa’s hotcakes. Then a bear arrives and he gets rid of it the same way. 
            Yellowhorse was played by J. Carrol Naish, who quit school at the age of 14 to become a song plugger. Back in the days before recording music was sold in notation with the lyrics. The song plugger would sit at the piano in a department store and would play whatever song the customer was considering buying. He spent years in the merchant marine and learned eight languages as well as several dialects. He sang and danced in a musical comedy troupe in Paris. From 1930 on he became a character actor in Hollywood specializing in ethnic roles. He became so well known in this specialty that the New York Times called him a one man United Nations. Even though he was of Irish descent, Hollywood considered his complexion too dark to play Irishmen. He became the star of the hit radio sitcom Life with Luigi for six years. His first film was a small part in What Price Glory? In the movies he co-starred in Sahara, and A Medal for Benny, both of which earned him Oscar nominations. He co-starred in The House of Frankenstein. He starred in Sitting Bull, as the villain Dr. Daka in The Batman serials, and as Charlie Chan in The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.




No comments:

Post a Comment