Monday 2 October 2023

Robert Rockwell


            On Sunday I worked out the chords for the intro and the first one and two-thirds verses of Lost Song by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the second day of two and didn't need to tune it at all. 
            I weighed 86.2 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in 110 days. I put too much ham on that pizza last night. 
            Around midday I applied for the Master of Arts program in Creative Writing at U of T. The process took about an hour. I uploaded my transcripts, my CV, my Portfolio, and my Statement of Purpose. I named Albert Moritz and George Elliott Clarke as my Recommenders and so links will be sent to their U of T emails so they can upload letters on my behalf. I sent Albert and George emails to give them a heads up to look out for the links. This is especially necessary with George because he doesn't seem to use his U of T email very much. I was worried that the School of Graduate Studies would only accept credit card payments of the $125 application fee, but there was a debit option. However I had to receive a code via text and realized I hadn't paid for my October phone plan yet, so I went over to Freedom and paid it. Then I started the payment process over again and it was successful.
            I'd been advised that I should also apply for Canadian and Ontario scholarships and I've already registered with both, but on spending half an hour searching through the list of awards, they are all so far for 2023-2024. If I'm accepted for the MA program I'll need scholarships for 2024-2025. I suspect that I really don't need to apply for a scholarship until I know if I'm accepted but I'll keep looking just in case. 
            I weighed 86.3 kilos before lunch. It's been a few months since I've been that hefty at midday. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I chiseled some black quartz from pieces of the rock I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 86.3 kilos at 17:30. It's been more than three months since I've been that heavy in the evening. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:00. 
            I tried to edit the Movie Maker project for synchronizing the video and audio of my August 5 song practice but Movie Maker kept crashing. At first it allowed me to cut a section of the audio timeline but then it wouldn't let me drag the remaining timeline to the beginning. I closed it and started it again and then it worked for a while until it crashed. Even after two restarts it crashed and so I never got around to working on the project to create a video for the studio audio of my song "Megaphor" either. I'm going to try to publish the video first and see if it's a format issue. The audio is in a Windows format. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, some cut up ham, and five-year-old cheddar. I used less ham than last night. I had it with a beer while watching season 7, episodes 20 and 21 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Billie Joe returns after her longest singing engagement yet and now she is wearing a suit with pants and preaching feminism. She easily draws Bobbie Joe in but it takes an argument with Steve about the topic of women's equality to bring Betty Joe around. The men all react negatively to the idea even though in the past Steve has expressed sympathy with some feminist ideas. Dr. Janet Craig is surprisingly against it. I would think that a woman who's gone through medical school would be a feminist. Bobbie goes on a date with Orrin and she decides to drive. She also takes an aggressive role and stops the jeep to kiss Orrin. He likes it. Billie plans a rally to organize the women of the valley and goes to the city to get a feminist leader named Laura C. Knutson, the head of Women In True Cultural Heritage (WITCH) to be a guest speaker but when she comes back she's dressed once again in feminine clothing and has forgotten about feminism because she got back together with her boyfriend Jerry. 
            In the second story Norbert E. Thompson, a man from the Highway Commission comes to stay at the Shady Rest. They learn that he's planning to run a road through the valley and it would go right through Betty and Steve's honeymoon cottage. Since they are selling the cottage anyway Steve does not think it's a big deal but when Betty learns that it means it would be demolished she is upset. So are Bobbie and Janet. Joe accompanies Thompson to the city to negotiate a deal on the house but he returns feeling like a failure because his price is so high the Commission has decided to move the highway. But everyone sees Joe as a hero for saving the cottage. 
            Thompson was played by Robert Rockwell, who received a Masters Degree from the Pasadena Playhouse. He started out as a contract player for Republic Studios. He played Phillip Boynton on the hit radio sitcom Our Miss Brooks and carried that role over to television. He became so identified with that comedic characterization that he had trouble getting dramatic parts. He played Loretta Young's husband on the Loretta Young Show. He starred in the movie The Red Menace. He played Superman's father Jor-el in the first Superman TV series in 1952. He starred in the western TV series The Man from Blackhawk. He appeared in over 200 commercials.




No comments:

Post a Comment