Sunday 15 October 2023

Jean Louis


            On Saturday morning I memorized the first verse of “Le moi et le je” (The Me and the I) by Serge Gainsbourg and made some adjustments to my translation of the first two verses. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the third day of four. I continued to try to learn to play my song “Vomit of the Star Eater”. So far every day I change one or two of the chords. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I rode down to No Frills where I bought three bags of grapes, three chicken legs, two bags of Miss Vickie’s chips, a pack of two artisan naan loaves, a box of spoon size shredded wheat, and two containers of PC skyr. 
            I weighed 86.2 kilos before lunch. I had Triscuits with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            I took a siesta and slept ten minutes longer than usual. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. It usually takes me an hour but I must be riding slower because that took me an extra ten minutes. 
            I spent about ten minutes chiseling black crystal from a piece of the rock I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos at 17:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:45. 
            I reviewed the videos of my song practice performances of “Time of the Yo-Yo” and “Le temps des yé-yé” from August 22 to 30. I played “Time of the Yo-Yo” on August 22, 24, 26, 28, and 30. I played it on my acoustic guitar on August 22, 26, and 28. On August 22 the take at 3:45 was pretty good. August 26 was pretty good and the traffic was quiet. The light was dim but I looked good. On August 28 the take at 4:30 was pretty good, it was quiet outside and the lighting was not bad. On August 24 and 30 I played it on my electric guitar. On August 24 the take at 5:45 was pretty good but the lighting was bad. On August 30 the final take at 16:30 wasn’t that great. I played “Le temps des yé-yé” on August 23, 25, 27, and 29. On August 23 and 29 I played it with the electric. On August 23 I played and sang the take at 7:45 great but there was bad light and traffic noise. On August 29 the take at 7:45 was one of the best for sound and light. On August 25 and 27 I played it with the acoustic. On August 25 the take at 7:15 was pretty good but there was bad light and traffic noise. On August 27 the take at 6:30 was pretty good. It was quiet outside and the lighting was not bad. 
            I converted my MP4 copy of the 1917 silent film Teddy at the Throttle into WMV. 
            In my Megaphor Movie Maker project I imported the 1913 silent film Race for a Life. I copied it to the end of the timeline and started editing out everything but the tying of Mabel Normand to the railroad tracks. There are four minutes left. 
            I added kidney beans, Basilica tomato sauce, salsa and dried chilies to the ham soup, I had a bowl with a slice of toasted seven grain bread and a beer while watching season 1, episodes 18 and 19 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Oliver discovers that he has been listed in the Hooterville phone book as Oliver Douglas, Attorney at Law. This upsets him because he came to Hooterville to be a farmer and now he is worried that everyone is going to call him for legal advice. But then he becomes upset because no one is calling him and, even worse, someone calls Oliver’s number to reach Hank Kimble the county farm agent to ask Hank for legal advice. When a Mr. Bleedwell finally calls for Oliver as a lawyer and comes for a meeting, he is only asking if Oliver wants to advertise as an attorney in the chamber of commerce bulletin. While he is there Lisa accidentally puts his hat on the stove, he trips over Lisa’s cake which had just been dropped on the floor, then Ralph Monroe hits him with a swinging plank and Mr. Haney rams into his car with his truck. Lisa has baked her first cake but Lisa finds inside of it, a thermometer, a spoon, a salt shaker, one of her earrings and one of Oliver’s neckties. 
            In the second story Alf and Ralph say they’ve finished Oliver and Lisa’s bedroom but they’ve not put plaster on the walls because they don’t plaster. They’ve left a rectangular hole in the wall for a fireplace but no fireplace because they are not masons, and they’ve only put in a cement floor that is full of footprints. The closet opens to the outdoors so Oliver makes them put in a wall. Later Oliver is installing a TV aerial when he falls through the roof and sprains his ankle. The doctor says he has to stay in bed at least three days. He is hungry but all Lisa knows how to cook are almost inedible pancakes. On the TV the announcer is describing the menu for the Hooterville diner and Oliver’s mouth is watering. Then a movie comes on called, Frankenstein Meets Mary Poppins and Alf and Ralph stop work to sit on the end of Oliver’s bed to watch it. Then Hank Kimble, Doris Ziffle comes with candy for Oliver but sits and eats it, Bobbie Joe Bradley comes with a basket of fried chicken for Oliver but ends up sitting and watching the movie and so everyone gets chicken but Oliver. Lisa comes with soup for Oliver but Bobbie Joe eats it. Finally Oliver gets up and limps away to the barn. Later Lisa comes out and they start kissing. 
            One thing I’ve noticed from this show is that the tender moments between Lisa and Oliver look more real than I recall seeing in any other sitcom. I know he was married so maybe it was just good acting but they really looked like they liked each other a lot. 
            Eva Gabor’s gowns were designed by Jean Louis, who designed the iconic Carnegie Suit when he first came to the US from France in the 1930s. He was the head designer for Columbia Pictures from 1944 to 1960. He is most famous for the strapless black gown worn by Rita Hayworth in Gilda. He invented the nude coloured gown with rhinestones and designed cabaret tour gowns in that style for Marlene Dietrich. Marilyn Monroe loved the illusion of nudity Dietrich’s gowns created and asked her how it was done. Marlene put Marilyn in touch with Jean Louis he designed for her the nude coloured rhinestone gown that she wore when she sang Happy Birthday to President John F, Kennedy. It later sold at an auction for $4.8 million. The nude gown became his trademark. He also designed the gowns worn by Loretta Young on The Loretta Young Show. She was known at the time as the best dressed actor in the US. In the 1990s he was married to her for five years. He was nominated for 13 Academy Awards. Nancy Reagan was also one of his devoted clients.












No comments:

Post a Comment