Sunday 22 October 2023

Oscar Beregi Jr.


            On Saturday morning I memorized the tenth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. There is one verse left to learn. 
            I uploaded “Le moi et le je” by Serge Gainsbourg and my translation, “The I and the My” to Christian’s Translations, edited it and published it on the blog. Tomorrow I’ll start learning his song “L'amour de moi” (The Whole of My Love), which is the final song in the 1986 Gainsbourg file. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the second session of four. 
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before breakfast. I removed all the weights from the Masonite that I’d glued to the kitchen floor the day before. There’s some construction glue that squeezed out around the edges so I’ll have to clean that up. There’s a bit of space between the bottom of the kitchen cabinets below the counter and the Masonite. I can cover that by gluing down some molding. I plan to paint the Masonite in a black and white checkerboard pattern but I might as well paint the kitchen cabinets below the counter first to cover up that ugly fake wood veneer. 




            I weighed 85.6 kilos before lunch. I had Cheez-it crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I spent about twenty minutes chiseling black quartz from a piece of the rock that I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:25. 
            I compared the September 3 song practice video of my electric performance of “Time of the Yo-Yo” with the one from August 14. September 3 looks just as good, plus there is very little traffic noise by comparison. So September 3 has nudged out yesterday’s winner. It’s too bad because I already have the August 14 song practice synchronized in Movie Maker. I compared September 5 to September 3 and September 5 has more traffic noise and doesn’t look and sound quite as good. I compared September 9 to September 3 and September 9 has really bad light, plus there’s a motorcycle idling at the end. So September 3 will be the electric version of my translation that I will upload to YouTube. 
            I compared my electric performances of “Le temps des yé-yé” on August 17 and August 19. On August 19 the guitar sounds better and there is less traffic noise. So August 19 will be the French version that I’ll upload to You Tube. So now I’ve selected the acoustic and electric performances of both the French and English versions of this song. I’ll start a project in Movie Maker on Sunday for my acoustic performance of “Le temps des yé-yé”. 
            I collected some images of flying gods and inserted them into the main video of my Megaphor Movie Maker project. I cut them according to the wave form but I think I need to remove them and cut them again so they fit the beat better. 
            I cut the negatives of Parkdale that I scanned on Friday into strips of five, put them in an envelope, then labeled and filed it. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a cut up beef burger, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching the first season finale and the second season premiere of Green Acres. 
            In the first story Oliver’s nephew Charles is coming to visit. Oliver hasn’t seen him since he was a little boy but he arrives as a young man on a motorcycle and Oliver is appalled that he is a long haired Beatnik. He bunks with Eb in the barn, which is the first time we’ve seen where Eb sleeps. He has turned the hayloft into a pretty nice bedroom. Oliver expects Chuck to help out on the farm but he is a very bad influence on Eb and teaches him the fine art of goofing off. It turns out however that Chuck is useful for something as when he finds Oliver struggling with fixing his ancient tractor he not only fixes it but supes it up. When Oliver tries to drive the tractor it takes off like a shot and before he can stop it he is arrested for speeding. Later Mr. Haney’s truck breaks down in front of Oliver’s house and Chuck fixes it but in doing so he removes the engine from Oliver’s car. Oliver hops on Chuck’s motorcycle to get his engine back but the bike takes off and Oliver is arrested for speeding again. Chuck decides to leave and Oliver is glad to see him go but then he sees that Eb is wearing a wig like Chuck’s. 
            In the second story Eb discovers that Oliver’s corn crop is being devoured by bugs. Meanwhile Sam, Fred, and Newt elect Oliver to be the Grand Marshall in the Veterans Day parade. Lisa tells the story of how they met. In the flashback, he is flying his plane over Nazi occupied Hungary when his engine conks out and he radios to the base that he has to jump. The radio operator tells him that if he gets captured to ask to be taken to Stalag 13 and to look for a chap named Hogan. So it turns out that Green Acres is in the same universe as Hogan’s Heroes. His parachute gets caught in a tree and he is hanging helpless when he is found by Lisa and Janos, who are fighters in the Hungarian resistance. Lisa is a sergeant and the one in charge. At first she wants to shoot Oliver because he might be German but when he starts talking fresh she knows he’s from the US. Then they see a German tank and Lisa takes off her coat to reveal a sexy gown. The Germans poke their heads out of their tank and while they are doing so Janos lobs a grenade. Lisa says that was the sixth tank they’d blown up that day. The day before they got twelve because she was wearing a bikini. Anyway they fall for each other. In the present Hank Kimball informs them that the pest eating the crops is the bing bug. He says they could be saved by crop dusting if they had a pilot. Everybody elects Oliver but the only plane is a WWI plane owned by Haney. The plane loses control and Oliver has to jump, catching his parachute once again in the trees. But the crashing plane saves the valley because it lands in Oliver’s corn field and burns his whole crop, which was where the bing bug is contained at this stage. 
            Janos was played by Hungarian actor Oscar Beregi Jr., whose father was a famous Hungarian actor. They left Hungary together but the son couldn’t get into the States. He ran a restaurant in Chile for several years before he was able to get a Visa to enter the US. He worked as a salesman for a few years while he learned English and then finally was able to enter his father’s profession at the age of forty. He played mob boss Joe Kulak in The Untouchables. He starred in three episodes of The Twilight Zone. He was a successful breeder of white Komondor sheepdogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment