Wednesday 4 October 2023

Keith Andes


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the sixth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. That's past the halfway mark of the song. 
            I worked out the chords for verses four to eight of Lost Song by Serge Gainsbourg, and also the instrumental. There are four verses left and I should have the song finished on Wednesday. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the second day of two. On Wednesday I'll begin a four session stretch of playing my Kramer electric. 
            I weighed 86.4 kilos before breakfast. At least it's fewer than yesterday. 
            I looked through the scholarships being offered for Masters programs but they mostly apply to circumstances or fields other than mine or are only for this coming term. I emailed Marguerite Perry of the English Department about it and I assume she will tell me to read the instructions more carefully or give me some other vague answer. So far there seems to be more help for Undergraduates than Graduates. 
            I opened up my computer and both fans seem to be running fine so I don't know why sometimes I hear one of them surging loudly. I blew some dust out of the inside. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. My weight is finally returning closer to normal. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back stopped at Freshco to buy grapes, strawberries and coffee. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:16. 
            In Movie Maker I synchronized the video and audio of my August 5, 2023 song practice. I then saved a copy as "Megaphor" and deleted the first few minutes so it only shows the final take. Then I deleted the rest of the songs after it. On Wednesday I'll listen to whether the audio balance needs adjusting. Right now it's at half the audio from the camera microphone and half of the two tracks of voice and guitar that I recorded in Audacity. I'll also decide if I want any visual effects to change things up a bit from the usual view of my living room in these videos. 
            My upstairs neighbour David knocked on my door and wants to go to lunch on Saturday. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio audio of my song "Megaphor" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio for my line, "Parkdale is hungry and it don't know why". But then it goes out of synch again for the line, "It licks my taste to test the flavour, scowls and backs away". So now I need to look for some video to fit with that line. 
            I finished scanning the rest of the negatives of my Paranoiac Utopia collage, along with the photos that I used and the extras that I didn't. I returned to scanning the contents of the wooden cabinet and did one colour roll. There are mostly street shots, some pictures of my ex-girlfriend Brenda talking on the phone and some interesting images I photographed of reflecting objects sitting on a top of a zebra print cloth. On Wednesday I'll cut the roll up and put the negs in an envelope, then I'll start on the rest. By my count there are sixty nine sets, most of which are uncut, which means there are well over a thousand negatives and slides that have never been printed. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three pork ribs while watching season 7, episodes 24 and 25 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Billie Joe returns from another trip to the city with another new idea. This time she's discovered touch therapy. The idea is achieving love for everybody through sensory awareness. Her sisters and some of the local women are interested but all of the men are scoffing and making fun. This results in Betty Joe making Steve sleep on the couch, Bobbie Joe and Orrin fighting, Sam losing customers, and Joe being worried no one will feed him. Billie holds a therapy session and the men join in to try to make peace but it's not going well because the men still can't take it seriously. Finally Janet asks Billie why she is doing this. She answers so we can love each other. Janet says the one thing she's noticed about the valley is that everybody already does love each other. That's not really evident from any of the stories I've watched over the seven seasons of this series. Plenty of people hate each other. Billie is frustrated and so Steve sings To Dream the Impossible Dream to her and somehow makes everything okay. 
            In the second story Peter Marlow, another old flame from medical school comes to court Janet and wants to take her away to Hawaii. Everybody tries tricks to make her stay. She eventually does stay. This was similar to a story from early in the sixth season and another from the end of the that season. One thing that sticks out is that at the end of the sixth season it was announced that Betty Joe was pregnant again with her second child. That was the reason Janet decided not to go away. It's a year later and there's no new baby and no signs of a second pregnancy so it looks like they decided to write the family expansion out of the series. Peter was played by Keith Andes, who started singing and acting on radio at the age of twelve. He won a Theatre World award for his performance in The Chocolate Soldier. He starred as Don Quixote in a stage show of Man of La Mancha which ran 400 performances. His first film appearance was in Winged Victory. He co-starred in the films Project X, Split Second, A Life at Stake, Damn Citizen, Model for Murder, Surrender Hell, and The Girl Most Likely. On TV he co-starred in the drama series This Man Dawson and in the sitcom Glynis but both were short lived. He retired in the 80s, bought a boat, lived on it and made a living running charters from Los Angeles to Mexico and Catalina. He committed suicide by hanging at the age of 85. His son Mark was a founding member of the band Spirit and later played with Heart.
















No comments:

Post a Comment