Wednesday 11 October 2023

Jerry Hausner


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the eighth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. There are three verses left to learn.
            I worked out the chords for the first verse and the chorus of “Physique est sans issue” (The Physical is without Issue) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first day of two and for the first time in a few years I didn’t play my song "Megaphor". I opened up the file where I worked out the chords to my song "Vomit of the Star Eater" and started trying to learn it. But I didn’t hear the chords that I’d worked out to be right anymore and so I worked them out for the first verse and the chorus. That was time consuming and so I had to abbreviate a lot of my songs in rehearsal so I wouldn’t be running late. It’s going to take me a few days to learn to play "Vomit of the Star Eater" by heart and so it will slow down my song practices somewhat but not as much as today I hope. 
            I weighed 86.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went over to the hardware store to get some construction glue so I can glue down the Masonite that I bought and cut to fit the area in front of the kitchen counter. They had a large tube that I’d have to apply with a caulking gun. I was pretty sure I had one so I went home to check. I found it and brought it back but Henry, who I think is the manager or owner, said my caulking gun doesn’t work. He said I would need a big caulking gun for the big tube but advised me against buying it. He suggested I get the same size as the one that I already had because that’s the size that most people need for the things one uses a caulking gun for. The big one would have cost me more than $30. He said I should buy three of the smaller tubes of construction glue and if I don’t use one I can always bring it back. I thanked him and he always says, “Hey, no problem!”
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before lunch. In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco to buy five bags of black grapes. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:33. 
            I reviewed my song practice videos of “Le temps des yé-yé” and my translation “Time of the Yo-Yo” from August 2 to August 9. I played “Le temps des yé-yé” on August 2, 5, 7, and 9. On August 2 and 7 I played it with the electric guitar. August 2 was the day that a string broke on my Kramer and so I played the Fibson. It wasn’t that great. On August 7 the take at 10:30 sounded pretty good but the camera was blurry because of low light. On August 5 and 9 I played it with my Martin acoustic guitar. On August 5 it was expressive but I think at least one chord was a little off. On August 9 the take at 4:00 was not bad but there was a lot of traffic noise. I played “Time of the Yo-Yo” on August 4, 6, and 8. On August 4 and 8 I played the electric. August 4 sounded good but the camera wasn’t showing the whole guitar. On August 8 the take at 8:15 was good but the lighting was bad. On August 6 I played the acoustic and the take at 5:00 was pretty good. 
            I downloaded the 1913 silent film Race for a Life starring Mabel Normand and the 1917 silent movie Teddy at the Throttle starring Gloria Swanson. I picked those films because I need clips of people being tied to railroad tracks for the video I’m making for the studio recording of my song "Megaphor".
            I scanned two uncut sets of colour negatives. The first set has mostly street shots, shots of my ex-girlfriend Brenda sleeping with her head on the shoulder of her best friend Suzanne, and some beautiful images of a tree. I cut that strip into strips of five frames each, put them in an envelope, labeled them and filed them. The second set has a lot of shots of Brenda posing for me down by Sunnyside Beach.
            I had a potato with gravy and some pork ribs while watching season 1, episodes 10 and 11 of Green Acres. 
            In the first story, Lisa leaves a note for Alice the hen that she needs three eggs, Alice sits on a plate and lays four. Judson Felton of the law firm where Oliver used to work needs him to help on a very important case that was in his portfolio when he quit. He has his secretary Miss Bromley try to contact Oliver in Hooterville. She calls Sam’s store and Felton talks to various locals until Haney hangs up on him. When he finally is able to talk with Oliver he also has to talk with Doris Ziffle on the party line. He asks her to hang up and when she does he is disconnected from Oliver. Meanwhile Oliver has several bags of lime for his soil. Hank Kimble visits and tells him that how much lime he uses depends on the PH of the soil. He goes to test it but he’s misplaced his kit. Oliver asks Hank if as county agent he has any pull with the phone company. Hank reveals that Sarah, the owner and switchboard operator of the Hooterville phone company, is his mother. Sarah has been mentioned on The Beverly Hillbillies and throughout the seven seasons of Petticoat Junction. She is never seen or heard but only spoken to and we know that she gets so excited that she faints if someone gets or makes a long distance call. The fact that she owns the phone company was not revealed until Green Acres. Hank says he and his mother had a big fight a week ago and he ran away from home because she wouldn’t let him have a dog. The next morning Oliver looks out his bedroom window and there is a telephone pole blocking his view. The lineman climbs down to the window and tells him the pole is a present from Sarah because Oliver helped she and her son get back together. He says they had to put the pole there because it’s as far as the wire would reach. When they get more wire they’ll run the phone to his kitchen. Meanwhile they have to climb the pole to talk on the phone. Felton arrives but Oliver refuses to go to New York. He does however have some notes on the case that he can show him. But before they can look at the files the phone rings at the top of the pole. Oliver climbs up and answers it but the call is from New York for Felton. He climbs up and then falls off. 
            The lineman was played by Jerry Hausner, who started as a radio actor and specialized in baby cries. He also provided voices for several Spike Jones recordings. He was the voice of Waldo on Mr. Magoo and he did several characters for The Dick Tracy Show. He appeared in the first episode of I Love Lucy as Ricky’s agent but later had a vicious fight with Desi Arnaz and never worked with him or Lucy again. 
            In the second story George Wilkins and Wally Jenkins, the chairman and vice chairman of the Crabwell Corners Conservation and Stabilization Committee are discussing the annual wheat allotment with Ben Miller and Newt Kylie. They tell them they are allowed to grow 10% more wheat this year than last because Haney didn’t apply this year. But Newt and Ben tell them that the Haney place was bought by Oliver Douglas and so maybe they should talk to him before they raise the allotment. They go to talk with Oliver, who tells them he plans on planting his entire 160 acres with wheat. Wilkins tells him he can’t do that. He explains that because Haney last grew 8 acres of wheat that is Oliver’s allotment. If he tries to sell more than 8 acres of wheat he will have to pay fines on each bushel that is over. Oliver says it’s his land and he’ll plant what he wants. Oliver organizes a wheat penalty protest meeting at Sam’s store and gets all the farmers to sign a petition. They don’t care about the allotment but they all want get home in time to watch Gomer Pyle. Oliver mails the petition to the Department of Agriculture in Washington. Soon Wilkins and Jenkins return and tell Oliver he can grow as much wheat as he wants. Wilkins and Jenkins haven’t read their mail from Washington for years and Oliver’s petition motivated to the DOA to contact the Wilkins and Jenkins to remind them that the wheat penalties were abolished in 1963. 
            Lisa tells Oliver that the washing machine is making funny noises. She says she put the table cloth in but forgot to remove the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment