Thursday 19 October 2023

October 1993: Spirit was very flirtatious with me and invited me to a party


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday I went to landlord-tenant court and it was over pretty quick. It didn’t look like I would have to go back because as soon as I had the money order for the rent everything would be fine. In the afternoon I worked for the sculpture department at the Central Technical School and then went home for a while. In the evening I went back downtown to finish my pose for Greg Damery’s class at the Ontario College of Art. During the coffee break I went outside and saw Spirit, one of the art students in front of the building with a friend. I went to talk with her and she was very forward and flirtatious with me. They invited me to a party after class and so when I finished I went down to X-Rays to meet them. We went looking for the party but it was over and so we went for another beer at the Bev and then Spirit drove me home in her adapted van. She was amazingly independent for someone who’d been in a wheelchair for her entire life. She was also a firebrand of activism for disabled people. She’d pretty much single handedly forced the Ontario College of Art to put in a wheelchair ramp.

No comments:

Post a Comment