Saturday 14 October 2023

Vic Mizzy


            On Friday morning I blog published “Bodies Never Come to Love”, my translation of “Physique est sans issue” by Serge Gainsbourg. There are two songs left to learn in the Gainsbourg 1986 file. I started memorizing his song “Le moi et le je” (The Me and the I). 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the second day of four. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I swept the kitchen floor, including under the stove, to prepare it for gluing down the Masonite that I had cut. I didn’t have time to mop the floor because I had a lunch date with my upstairs neighbour David. 
            He came to my door at 13:00 and we walked west along Queen as far as Brock when I realized that I’d forgotten to put in my denture. He waited with my bike until I came back. We talked as we walked to Dufferin and then north to Bloor. We went to the African Delight restaurant, which is near a mosque and the sidewalk was crowded with Africans because it was Friday. It’s kind of a run down place and we were pretty much the only customers. The place is of course not licensed and so I just drank tap water. I ordered the Keyh Tibs, which is prime lean beef cubes simmered in special berbere (red pepper) and seasoned with exotic spices and served with injera bread. But looking at the menu later it looks like the owner of the place decided that I couldn’t handle what I ordered and gave me instead the African Delight platter special served with injera bread. The bread is thin, moist and extremely filling. There are no utensils and so one picks up food with pieces of the bread. Some of the items on the platter were tasty and spicy. The kale wasn’t that great. I think most of the items were supposed to be served hot but they weren’t. I wouldn’t go back there. I had intended on paying but David paid at the counter. I had walked up there with my bike and so afterward I continued on for a bike ride downtown and back while David took the bus home. I stopped at Freshco to buy a bag of potatoes on my way home. 
            David got a call from Israel asking him to join the reserves. I don’t think he’s going. 
            I took a late siesta at 16:00 and slept almost half an hour longer than usual. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos at 18:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:53.
            I reviewed the song practice videos of my performances of “Le temps des yé-yé” and “Time of the Yo-Yo” from August 17 to 21. On August 17, 19 and 21 I played “Le temps des yé-yé”. On August 17 and 19 I played it with the electric guitar. On August 17 the take at 6:00 was the best of the electric ones in French so far but there was loud traffic. August 19 was one of the best and also quieter in terms of traffic. On August 21 I played it with my acoustic guitar. It sounded okay and I was expressive but the lighting was bad. I played “Time of the Yo-Yo” on August 18 and 20. On August 18 and 20 I played it on the electric and on August 18 it was okay but there was a lot of traffic noise. August 20 was pretty good and it was quiet outside. 
            I had a potato with gravy and some pork ribs while watching season 1, episodes 16 and 17 of Green Acres. I had to put the pork back in the oven because it was red inside.
            In the first story Oliver’s neighbour Mr. Watson is selling his farm and offers it to Oliver. His farm has a high corn crop and an orchard with a rich yield of apples. The only thing he’s not selling is his very well built farm house that is much larger than Oliver’s. Lisa doesn’t like the idea of him buying the farm but when he takes her to see the land she sees the farmhouse and thinks it’s part of the deal and tells him to buy it. Oliver doesn’t know that Lisa misunderstands. He closes the deal and takes a trip to New York to arrange for the transfer of funds. The Watsons celebrate the sale by going away for a few days. Lisa still thinks the furnished Watson house is hers and sells all the furniture to Mr. Haney. Haney doesn’t like the way Lisa haggles because whenever he makes an offer she raises the price rather than going slightly lower. He offers her $50 and she says $100. He offers her $45 and she says $150. Oliver comes back from New York to find his home empty of furniture because Lisa has moved everything to the Watson place. After he explains it to her Oliver and Lisa come back to their house to find that Haney has moved all the Watson furniture in. Lisa negotiates the new deal much to Haney’s dismay. 
            In the second story Oliver and Lisa see a skyrocket and Eb explains it’s the volunteer fire department signal. Haney is driving the firetruck which is his truck with bells and a siren. The fire is at Newt Kylie’s farm and Oliver wants to help. Haney says he can’t come but invites Lisa. Lisa explains to Oliver later that it’s because she’s sexy. Oliver wants to join but is too proud to ask so Lisa hints to Sam that he wants to join. Joe Carson says he can’t join unless he can play a marching instrument. He lets him join with his guitar. For the next couple of nights he is placed on sky watch to look for a rocket. On the second night he sees one and tries to call but the Hooterville phone company closes at 21:30. He drives with his car but it turns out that Joe fired the rocket for an emergency band practice and takes away Oliver’s helmet because he didn’t bring his guitar. 
            The music for Green Acres, including the theme song was written by Vic Mizzy. He also wrote the theme for The Addams Family and sang it, recording his voice three times so it would sound like a group was singing it. He always negotiated his own contracts and still owns the publishing rights to the theme songs. He wrote the music for Doris Day’s hit My Dreams Are Getting Better All the Time and the Andrews Sisters’ “Three Little Sisters”. In 1959 he started composing for television on Shirley Temple’s Storybook. He wrote the themes for several sitcoms that didn’t become popular shows. He wrote the scores for five Don Knotts films: The Ghost and Mister Chicken, The Reluctant Astronaut, The Shakiest Gun in the West, How to Frame a Figg, and The Love God. He wrote “In the Middle In the Middle In the Middle” for the City of New York as an anti-jaywalking public service announcement. It was sung by Mizzy’s daughter Patty Keeler and later covered by They Might Be Giants.




No comments:

Post a Comment