Saturday 7 October 2023

Eva Gabor


            On Friday morning I memorized the seventh verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. There are four verses left to learn. 
            I published “Song Lost”, my translation of “Lost Song” by Serge Gainsbourg. I memorized the first verse of his song “Physique est sans issue” (Body Without Issue). 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the third session of four. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I rode to Merit at College and Crawford to ask if they had sheets of white Masonite. I was told they’d have it at a lumber yard and so I rode to the one at Dundas and Sorauren. They had sheets of 1.2 meters x 2.4 meters for $25 so I got one. I had to go into the maze at the back to get it. Then I had to figure out how to get it home with my bike. I put the right pedal down and balanced the sheet on it while I walked all the way home. Sometimes the wind almost made it get away from me so I was afraid of crossing the street on the bridge and the open area on either end of it west of Lansdowne. If I’d been on an open plane I probably could have just strapped the sheet to my back and sailed home on my bike. I’d had to pee ever since I left Merit and it was getting pretty bad as I walked down Brock Avenue south of Dundas. There’s a tiny café just north of the railroad bridge and I stopped to ask if I could use their washroom but the young woman behind the counter told me she wasn’t allowed to let non-customers use the washroom. I told her to tell her manager that they’d just lost a customer. She shrugged and went back to her phone. I made it to my building and I was getting pretty desperate. I left the sheet on the sidewalk and ran up the stairs with my bike but my bladder let go and I peed my jeans. It didn’t start hitting the floor until I was in the hallway in front of my door and so I came out and cleaned it up once I’d finished peeing in my washroom. The previous and first time that happened was at the beginning of covid when I was downtown with no place to go to the toilet. 
            I changed my clothes and I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I’ve been at midday in about a month.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I chiseled some black quartz from a piece of the rock I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was posting my blog and tried to insert my video of "Megaphor" but nothing was showing up in a YouTube search. Nothing from my channel, which usually shows and I just got “no videos” when I searched for any video on YouTube. When I looked up the problem someone told someone that it’s not a YouTube or Blogger problem but a browser problem and that they should clear their app data. I’ve never had this problem before. I was able to paste the YouTube link but usually the thumbnail appears and it didn’t. If this happens tomorrow I’ll try clearing app data and see if it is a problem with my browser. This was time consuming and I wasn’t caught up on my journal until 19:30. 
    A day later I tried it and it worked and so it must have been a Blogger problem. 


            I started a Movie Maker project for my August 14 song practice. I imported the videos and the audio and got them within a couple of seconds of synchronization. I should have them lined up on Saturday and then I’ll create a project for the electric version of my song “Megaphor” from that day. It’s possible I’ll have it ready to publish on Saturday. In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio audio of my song “Megaphor” I tried to synchronize the concert video with the studio audio for my line “I’m just a little too bitter for its sheltered taste”. I didn’t have a lot of time to work on it before dinner. I’ll try again on Saturday. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three pork ribs while watching season 1, episodes 2 and 3 of Green Acres. 
            The end of the series premier showed Oliver and Lisa arriving at the dilapidated farmhouse that Oliver bought. But this story has them not there yet after driving from New York for three days. Meanwhile Mr. Haney, who sold Oliver the house is removing everything from the house, like the sink, the bathtub and the stove, so he can sell it all back to him. There is also no bed, no electricity, no telephone and the pump won’t work until it’s been primed with water from a stream several kilometers away. Oliver is reluctant to hire Eb as his handyman but after several blunders like installing the sink and then realizing he can’t get the bathtub in until the sink is removed, he hires him. Lisa decides to leave but Kate Bradley tells her that she came from the city too and gave up a show business career to live in the country so Lisa decides to stay. Kate didn’t tell her that the city was Pixley and her show business career was selling tickets at the local cinema. 
            In the second story Lisa wakes up from a nightmare that Oliver had bought a farm and realizes it’s the truth. Kate Bradley hears her scream all the way over at the Shady Rest and decides to visit. She brings some food and gives Lisa some cooking pointers but not enough. Lisa has never cooked before and her pancakes are extremely tough. Oliver wants to begin farming but Lisa says she is leaving if the house is not fixed up. Through Sam Drucker, Oliver hires the best decorator in the county. Then Oliver’s mother comes to rescue Lisa. She behaves as if she is Lisa’s mother and Oliver’s mother in law. When she sees the house she faints. She encourages Lisa to leave with her. Lisa says she promised to stay if he gets a decorator. Mother says, “You don’t have to keep a promise, you’re a woman!” But mother leaves and Roland Wilson the decorator arrives but he turns out to be a cake decorator. 
            Lisa was played by Eva Gabor who came to the US from Hungary in the 1930s. She was the first of the three Gabor sisters to come to the US, after her marriage to a Swedish doctor who was Greta Garbo’s osteopath. In 1953 she had her own fifteen minute talk show on television. She had a co-starring role in her very first movie, Forced landing in 1941. She co-starred in the movie It Started with a Kiss. After Green Acres she had a successful line of wigs, clothing and beauty products. She was married five times, which is fewer than her sisters Zsa Zsa and Magda. Both of her sisters were also actors but Eva said she was the only actor in the family. She said, “I believe in loyalty. When a woman reaches an age she likes she should stick with it” and “Marriage is too interesting an experiment to try only once”. She lived with Merv Griffin for several years until she died.














No comments:

Post a Comment