Tuesday 31 October 2023

Les Brown Jr.


            On Monday morning I discovered that the chords for the third verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian are not the same as those of the first and second verses. I worked them out for most of the first line. 
            I ran through singing and playing the 15th Century song “L'amour de moy” (The Love of My Life). I translated verses two to four and then I uploaded “L'amour de moi” by Serge Gainsbourg and “L'amour de moy” to Christian’s Translations. Tomorrow I’ll begin the editing process to prepare them for publication on the blog. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the third session of four. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went to Freedom Mobile and paid for my November phone service. Then I went to the hardware store and bought a small can of primer, a tray-brush-roller kit, some small brushes and some painter tape.
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I wore a scarf for the first time this season. I wore my fall gloves but on the way back it got a lot colder and I could have used my winter gloves. When I got home it was too cold to go out on the deck and chisel black quartz. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos at 17:30, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the evening in thirteen days. 
            I got caught up on my journal at 18:24. In the Movie Maker project for “Le temps des yoyos (electric)” I isolated the song, added a fade to black effect, as well as the effect of cycling through the whole colour spectrum. It’s kind of a neat effect, plus it reflects the meaning of the song in that it’s about the changing of musical styles. I published it as a movie and tomorrow I’ll probably upload it to You Tube. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song Megaphor I continued moving small segments of the end to appear after one another at the beginning to make the clip go in reverse. I got past the point where the camera was lingering on all the dancers and now I’ve started to reverse the view from rolling back to zooming in. 
            I cut the colour negatives I shot of the Copa concert and put them in an envelope. I scanned two more strips of uncut colour negatives. The first looks like it might be mostly of the Corso Italia on St. Clair. The second set consists entirely of shots of the Caribana parade, probably in 1989.
            I had a potato with gravy and a chicken breast while watching season 2, episodes 18 and 19 of Green Acres. In the first story everybody is moving out of Hooterville Valley for Bleedwell because a rocket plant is opening up there. Oliver suggests they open a small plant in Hooterville to keep people there. The town council decides to reopen an airplane factory that was active during WWI. They decide to make Oliver president. It turns out that they had a contract to build planes for the US Army. They had a contract to build 32 planes and they only built 26 so they have six more to build. The contract was written in such a way that it is still valid until those planes are built even though the army no longer wants WWI planes. At the Pentagon, General Sloate receives a notification letter about the planes and can’t believe it. Meanwhile the Hooterville plant is in a barn. Alf and Ralph are constructing the fuselage using the plans for a model plane but blown up to life size. General Sloate asks Mr. Travis of the Attorney General’s office if the contract is valid and he says it is. Sloate decides to fly to Hooterville. The town has no airport and so he has to parachute in. Since Oliver is still in the air force reserve the general orders him back to active duty and tells him he has to be the test pilot for every plane that Hooterville builds. The day the first plane comes off the assembly line there is a ceremony and Lisa christens it with a champagne bottle, which causes the plane to fall apart. 
            A sergeant at the Pentagon was played by Les Brown Jr., who was the son of band leader Les Brown. He wrote and directed the 1997 video High Speed Police Pursuits. In 2001 he took his father’s place as the full time leader of The Band of Renown. He also hosted a national radio show. He was a rock musician and a producer who worked with Carlos Santana. He was a country music concert promoter for acts like Merle Haggard and Loretta Lynn. 



            In the second story Lisa is bored. Oliver helps her to become the chair of the Hooterville Human Humane Society. She begins to take this appointment seriously to an obsessive degree. She makes Oliver sit on the floor to read his paper because their dog Mignon is in the chair. She puts Newt Kiley out of the egg business because he’s stealing children from hens. She throws Roy Trendall’s shotgun in the lake so he can’t hunt ducks. She tells Sam he can’t use mouse traps. Oliver’s neighbours present him with a petition to run Lisa out of town. Oliver fixes the problem by buying a mink coat and telling Lisa he’s giving it to Doris Ziffel. He says he would have given it to her if she wasn’t the chair of the Human Humane Society. Lisa immediately resigns as chair so she can get the fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment