Wednesday 1 November 2023

November 1, 1993: My first ever show went well, and all my friends were there


November 1, 1993 

            On Monday I worked from 10:00 to 15:00 at The Heliconian Club. I called Nancy several times and argued until she finally agreed to bring our daughter to my show that night, but only if she was still awake. I called Mike Copping and arranged to meet later. I went to Yehudah’s place and did a set of rehearsal until Tom Smarda showed up. Diana Dufretes came over. Then Tom, Yehudah and I did another set together before leaving to meet Tom’s friend Marcus and my friend Mike. We all went to Capers on Bloor Street. The waitress was very friendly and sat down top eat her dinner with us. I got her phone number. But Yehudah ordered too much whisky and food and the bill was enormous. I had to borrow money from Mike to pay for it and I was disappointed that Tom had to pay for his own meal because I had planned on treating him for his birthday. But anyway, it was quite magical to get along with so many people. 
            We walked to Yehudah’s place to pick up Tom’s guitar and then went to Crickets. Susana Wald was there and so was my former sister-in-law Ann. Nancy came without my daughter because she had fallen asleep before she left. She brought her friend Rakina, her sister Susan, and Susan’s friend Reggie. Tom’s friend Nathalie, Tom’s roommate Jim, and Cy Strom from Artists 25 were there. Ann had to leave halfway through. 
            Our show went well and Marcus recorded it. Mike enjoyed it and so did Nancy. When we left, Yehudah performed with his cello for some girls on the street. Then he and Mike played chess until 3:00. Mike and I walked to his car and he drove me to Queen Street, where we had a coffee before I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment